I am working on a site redesign which attaches to an MS SQL backend. The hosting company sent me a backup copy of the DB. I am trying to restore the db into my SQL Server but keep getting an error. I created an empty DB and then backed up that DB. I then replaced the .bak from my db with the .bak file he sent to me in a zip document. I then tried to do a DB restore through enterprise manager and recieved this error:
Device activation error. The physical file name 'd:\sql\database\mssql\data\stklaweb_db_data.mdf' may be incorrect. File 'stklaweb_db_data' cannot be restored to 'd:\sql\database\mssql\data\stklaweb_db_data.mdf'. Use With Move to identify a valid location for the file. Device activation err. The physical file name 'd:\sql\database\mssql\data\stklaweb_db_data.ldf' may be incorrect. File 'stklaweb_db_data' cannot be restored to 'd:\sql\database\mssql\data\stklaweb_db_data.ldf'. Use With Move to identify a valid location for the file. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
I need to get this db restored asap. Any suggestions/help would be GREATLY appriciated!!!
Delete the newly created empty database as that sounds like part of the problem.
In EM right click on Databases, Click All Tasks, Click Restore Database. In the "Restore as database:" field key the name of the new database. In the "Restore:" section choose "From Device". Browse for the .bak database backup file that you received. Double check all options....Good Luck!
I deleted the db and tried restoring from device and got the same error message. I then checked the box to Read backup set information and add to backup history. This gave me the original name of the db which I did not have. After loading that info into the history I did a restore using the original name of the db and that seemed to work. Thanks.