Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Problems with Database Mirroring in SQL 2005

Author  Topic 

MDBVV
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-12 : 16:48:47
Hello,
I am having difficulty setting up database mirroring on a SQL2005 EE server using raw partitions as the database storage medium.

The databases are fully accessible, the mirror and endpoints are set up correctly, but when you start mirroring it goes into a suspended state immediately, in the error logs I find the following error:

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'C:\DriveMapping\Log_Disk3\'

If I move the log file onto a NTFS partition the mirror will start up and run without a problem, however we have noticed a significant performance hit when we do not use raw partitions. Any idea's as to what is wrong?

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-12 : 19:40:59
Have you applied SQL2K5 SP1 yet?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-12 : 20:33:14
Is database mirroring with raw partitions even supported?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

MDBVV
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-13 : 11:09:59
SP1 has been applied, the error only occurs if the log is on a raw partition it seems, if i move the log to a ntfs partition everything works fine (rest of the database is on raw partitions)
Go to Top of Page

Liew2020
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-28 : 02:40:26
hi, I faced the same problem as well. I have everything mention applied, but the DB Mirror show as SUSPENDED on primary site. Does anyone know to resolve it?

Regards,
Jimmy Liew
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-28 : 10:28:48
When you add a file (or in this case a raw partition) to a mirrored database, you will need to have the exact path available to SQL Server on the partner server. Can it be that SQL Server is looking for a particular Disk ID for the new file?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -