Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Memory and the effect on server performance

Author  Topic 

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-15 : 13:42:41
I'm happy with the performance of our 1Gb memory Dell 2850, but I've got the opportunity to upgrade the 1Gb DDR Ram to a 2GB ECC.

Any thoughts on wether my server performance will go up (2Gb) or down (ECC)?

Sam

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-15 : 14:28:26
Generally speaking, more memory will give you better SQL Server performance, because it can cache more data in memory and doesn't have to read from disk as often.

However, if a large part of you data is already cached, you may not see any improvement. For example,if your database is 500 MB, the server already has enough memory to cache the entire database.

A good indicator is to look at performance monitor "SQL Server: Buffer Manager" "Page reads/sec" to see how often it is going to disk to read pages into memory. The higher the number, the more likely additioanl memory will improve performance.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-15 : 14:50:02
I assume you are replacing your existing 1GB (2x512MB I hope) with either 2x1GB ECC or 4 x 512MB ECC right? The ECC ram is DDR right?

If you install the ram in pairs, you should be good. Installing it in pairs will actually give you the benefits of DDR. Installing an odd number of sticks will disable DDR. Also, be sure to NOT mix ECC and Non-ECC in the same machine. That will either cause the machine to not boot, disable ECC, or maybe just make it run weird.

Also, is your database over 1GB? If it's not, you'll probably not notice much difference in performance. If the database is over 1GB, you should notice some good performance gains.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will. Cursors, path to the Dark Side they are. Avoid them, you must. Use Order By NewID() to get a random record you will.</Yoda>

Opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily those of TeleVox Software, inc. All information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-15 : 17:22:24
Thanks. I will make sure the hosting company installs a pair of ECC. I know they had planned to remove the non-ECC memory.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -