Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Syntax error or access violation

Author  Topic 

vnative
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-20 : 11:32:49
Hello,

I have 2 database, both on SQL 2000 with SP4 and we are trying to setup transactional replication. Snapshot works just fine, but as you know it's not very efficient. With the transactional method, we get an "Syntax error or access violation" error on tables with spaces. I know spaces are BAD, but this is a large database that was recently upsized from an MDB file. Changing the table names would break the application, so it is important that we keep the table names as is. Replication seems to work fine on tables without spaces. Does anyone know a work-around for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-28 : 20:49:00
Well, the workaround is to rename the table

Ill have to do some testing to see if I can find another way around this. Although a stretch, this KB could be relevant.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887165/en-us

Im going to setup Trans Replication between two test servers using [Northwind].[Order Details] table to see if I can reproduce.

Nathan Skerl
Go to Top of Page

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-28 : 20:52:54
And is that the exact error message you receive? When does it complain?

Nathan Skerl
Go to Top of Page

vnative
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-28 : 22:29:57
Yes, the error message I get is: "Syntax error or access violation". Not very informative. You'd think that MS could put the table names in square [] brackets when running the script. It happens when it reaches tables with spaces. The tables without seem to work fine. I'm right now in the process of renaming tables because I don't have any other solutions. Thanks for helping - I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -