Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Either BOF or EOF is True ...........Error

Author  Topic 

Swati Jain
Posting Yak Master

139 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-05 : 07:08:07
Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.

Source Error:

Line 84: Dim bID = Request("batchID")
Line 85: oRs = oCandidate.getCandidateFeePaidDetails(bID)
Line 86: lblTotalPaidAmount.Text = getDecimalFormat(oRs("batchPaidAmount").Value)
Line 87: End Sub
Line 88: #End Region

Source File: D:\AustinProjects\SIEIMSDev\SIEIMSApps\Admin\CancelAdmission.aspx.vb Line: 86

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x800a0bcd): Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.]
ADODB.Field.get_Value() +0
ADODB.InternalField.get_Value()
SIEIMSDev.CancelAdmission.BindBatchDetails() in D:\AustinProjects\SIEIMSDev\SIEIMSApps\Admin\CancelAdmission.aspx.vb:86
SIEIMSDev.CancelAdmission.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\AustinProjects\SIEIMSDev\SIEIMSApps\Admin\CancelAdmission.aspx.vb:50
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

RyanRandall
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1074 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-05 : 07:17:48
You do know that this is an MS SQL Server forum, right?

Ryan Randall
www.monsoonmalabar.com London-based IT consultancy

Solutions are easy. Understanding the problem, now, that's the hard part.
Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye

5581 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-05 : 07:23:17
It seems that before you use the recordset values, you should first check whether there is any record in the recordset or not.
I doubt this error is at:

Line 85: oRs = oCandidate.getCandidateFeePaidDetails(bID)
Line 86: lblTotalPaidAmount.Text = getDecimalFormat(oRs("batchPaidAmount").Value)

because in line 86, you are not checking whether there is actually any record in oRs object (assuming it is recordset) and directly using the field value for "batchPaidAmount" field on line 86. Just add a check between these two lines to check whether oRs is empty or not.

Harsh Athalye
India.
"Nothing is Impossible"
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-05 : 07:30:12
Pseudocode

If rs.ActiveConnection.Errors.Count > 0 Then
Some significant error has occured
ElseIf rs.Bof Or rs.Eof Then
Do something useful when not returning any row
else
Do what was intended in first place
End if

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-05 : 07:32:09
quote:
Originally posted by harsh_athalye

Just add a check between these two lines to check whether oRs is empty or not.
This works most of the time, but not always. There are scenarios where recordset is not empty, but has no columns. This is not the same as the column value is null. It has happened to me twice the last six years.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye

5581 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-05 : 07:34:39
quote:
Originally posted by Peso

quote:
Originally posted by harsh_athalye

Just add a check between these two lines to check whether oRs is empty or not.
This works most of the time, but not always. There are scenarios where recordset is not empty, but has no columns. This is not the same as the column value is null.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden

Peso,

I agree with the NULL part...but i don't understand if there are no columns in the recordset & still if recordset is not empty, then what it will contain ?

Harsh Athalye
India.
"Nothing is Impossible"
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-05 : 07:42:03
I wish I knew. The first time it happened for me was when I built a site for a large wine importer here in Sweden. In one stored procedure, I forgot to write SET NOCOUNT ON. The recordset contained (0 row(s) affected). That's why I always set SET NOCOUNT ON in production stored procedures for not getting strange results.

The second time it happened was when a stored procedure returned two resultsets. The first was ok, but for some reason the former developer had added a SELECT NULL as the second returning resultset. Then I got the error when first using Set rs = rs.NextRecordset() and then Do Until rs.Eof block. Never happend to me after that.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye

5581 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-05 : 07:48:09
quote:
Originally posted by Peso

I wish I knew. The first time it happened for me was when I built a site for a large wine importer here in Sweden. In one stored procedure, I forgot to write SET NOCOUNT ON. The recordset contained (0 row(s) affected). That's why I always set SET NOCOUNT ON in production stored procedures for not getting strange results.

The second time it happened was when a stored procedure returned two resultsets. The first was ok, but for some reason the former developer had added a SELECT NULL as the second returning resultset. Then I got the error when first using Set rs = rs.NextRecordset() and then Do Until rs.Eof block. Never happend to me after that.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden

OK...I got the point. Yeah, the SET NOCOUNT case happened with me too and its even weird to find out problem in such cases.

Harsh Athalye
India.
"Nothing is Impossible"
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -