Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Prevent user from login when using another profile

Author  Topic 

doristan
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 03:11:19
Hi;

May i know is there a way to prevent user to connect to my DB using SQL Enterprise Manager when this user login to my server using his profile?

EG: i m administrator on my SQLSERVER, i can connect to my DB using SQL Enterprise Manager.

But when User1 login to my SQLSERVER using his profile, he shouldn't able to connect to my DB using Enterprise Manager.

Is there a way to set this? thanks :)

Doris

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 03:14:18
as long as you did not grant the access of your DB to User1, User1 will not be able to access to your DB.

KH

Go to Top of Page

doristan
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 03:23:45
i have set the password to my EM, because i have many SQLSERVERs to maintain, so i m looking for a way that: if my server is login by other profile, he is not allowed to access to my DB, is it possible?
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 03:31:26
You can't un saved the password in the EM. Edit the Server registration and change to always prompt for login name & password.

Are you using Windows Authentication or Mixed ?

KH

Go to Top of Page

doristan
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 03:50:36
I m using Mixed.
i know there is a setting to prompt for login name and password, but my intend is not to do that, my intend is to control by the window profile and not by using the account in the EM. Is there a way to do that? please?
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 03:54:13
registered servers in one profile are not available in other profiles. I just did some testing where i registered a server using one profile and it definitely does not show up when I login as a different user.

Are you seeing something different?

-e
Go to Top of Page

doristan
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 03:58:52
Yes, when my other user login using his profile, he manages to open EM and connect to my DB.
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 04:02:17
Try changing your EM server registration to Windows Authentication and deny access to User1

KH

Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 04:17:27
quote:
Originally posted by doristan

Yes, when my other user login using his profile, he manages to open EM and connect to my DB.

interesting. It looks like enterprise manager can keep registration information in both HKLM and HKCU. The stuff in HKLM is shared between all profiles.

I found a script here http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=24&messageid=270935 that allows you to backup/restore EM registrations. It takes the registrations from HKLM and puts them in HKCU instead, eliminating the security risk.

looking around in EM in the tools menu there is a setting for storing EM registrations as 'user independent'. Do you have that checked?

EM --> Tools --> Options --> General Tab

-ec
Go to Top of Page

doristan
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 05:00:21
hi eyechart:
May i know what actually this script for? must i run this script before i uncheck the 'user independent'?

Does this means if i unchecked the 'user independent', my other user will not able to connect to my DB when he login using his profile?

Thanks alot.
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 05:25:45
is the builtin/administrator still existing on the server?

if yes, then whatever profile he uses, as long as he is local admin to the server, he can access the entire sql server with SA

is he member of sysadmin? if yes, then you cannot do anything, else you can remove his account from your database
and make sure that the guest account doesn't exist either in your db

HTH

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 11:26:00
quote:
Originally posted by doristan

hi eyechart:
May i know what actually this script for? must i run this script before i uncheck the 'user independent'?

Does this means if i unchecked the 'user independent', my other user will not able to connect to my DB when he login using his profile?

Thanks alot.

I didn't write the script. The script seems to be able to cleanup the registry the way you want so your SQL registrations (including logins) are not exposed to other profiles who login to your server.

If you have questions about the use of that script, read the thread I linked to and ask a question there.

bottom line on this one is that in order to achieve what you want, you need to clean the registered servers out of the HKLM area so they are not shared between profiles. You then must enable the "user independent" feature of EM so future SQL Registrations do not wind up in HKLM.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -