Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Pls Help- I/O error

Author  Topic 

venkath
Posting Yak Master

202 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-06 : 23:11:05
Hi all

When i am udating a table.. i am getting the following error...
UPDATE SALES_ORDER
SET CC_NUMBER = PAYMENT_NUMBER
WHERE PAYMENT_METHOD_CODE IN ('AMEX', 'DISC','MC','VISA'): [POETICAPP]I/O error 1(Incorrect function.) detected during read at offset 0x0000000000c000 in file 'E:\Data\A2PD_22.mdf'.
08:37:34 [ERROR ] Exception in upgrade [POETICAPP]I/O error 1(Incorrect function.) detected during read at offset 0x0000000000c000 in file 'E:\Data\A2PD_22.mdf'.

Pls help me how to handle this issue..

Thanks

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-07 : 00:55:50
It seems to be a hardware failure on the disk where you have you database. Make a backup as soon as possible with log, and then replace disk.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-07 : 01:05:12
run a DBCC CHECKDB and post the results.

Do not opt for any repairs, just post the results. Also, you may want to post this question in the "Data Corruption Issues" forum here.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

venkath
Posting Yak Master

202 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-07 : 01:19:25
Hi eyechart...

when i run the DBCC CHECKDB against the database..i got the following error..
Server: Msg 8946, Level 16, State 12, Line 2
Table error: Allocation page (20:234552) has invalid PFS_PAGE page header values. Type is 0. Check type, object ID and page ID on the page.
Server: Msg 7995, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Database 'A2PD' consistency errors in sysobjects, sysindexes, syscolumns, or systypes prevent further CHECKDB processing.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

How can i proceed now..
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-07 : 01:24:02
quote:
Originally posted by venkath

Hi eyechart...

when i run the DBCC CHECKDB against the database..i got the following error..
Server: Msg 8946, Level 16, State 12, Line 2
Table error: Allocation page (20:234552) has invalid PFS_PAGE page header values. Type is 0. Check type, object ID and page ID on the page.
Server: Msg 7995, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Database 'A2PD' consistency errors in sysobjects, sysindexes, syscolumns, or systypes prevent further CHECKDB processing.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

How can i proceed now..

post your original message and the DBCC output in the "Data Corruption Issues" forum here. Paul Randall (dev lead for SQL Storage engine) monitors that forum and usually responds within a day to questions like this.

Whatever you do, do not do and repairs on the database. Also, do not detach the database. Post your message and then wait for paul to tell you what to do

-ec
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-07 : 01:24:58
also, do you take regular backups of your database? Is the database in simple for full recovery mode?

EDIT
I've continued the discussion in the data corruption forum http://sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68751

-ec
Go to Top of Page

venkath
Posting Yak Master

202 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-07 : 01:27:34
Ok..
Since it is not production database..regular backups are not taken..
The database is in Full Recovery Model..

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-07 : 11:43:12
quote:
Originally posted by venkath

Ok..
Since it is not production database..regular backups are not taken..
The database is in Full Recovery Model..

Thanks

Not being a production database is not a reason for not making regular backups.

The criteria should be, "Is anything in the database important enough to not want to lose or costly to replace?" If it is important, then you need a regular backup.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -