SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 many processes same spid id
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drunkle
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2001 :  18:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know how to really describe this but I'm hoping its really nothing. We've just upgraded our server to SQL 2000. Its running on Win 2000 with Informatica running on the server. Each time we start a load for Informatica it spans multiple threads using the same spid id. I've never seen this before and I'm hoping its just me.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15663 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2001 :  08:58:33  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sounds perfectly normal to me, unless I've completely misunderstood the concept of multi-threaded execution (could be!) The spid is unique for a single process, however that process can use any number of threads for execution.

Go to Top of Page

drunkle
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2001 :  14:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. After watching the server for some time I discovered it was doing this even for TSQL Query commands so I was left under the impression this was normal behavior. I have yet to judge if it is faster but at least I'm not worried about something being wrong. I knew about the multi threading but had assumed it would be done under the covers and not noticable.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15663 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2001 :  14:40:35  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The most you can do with threads is limit the maximum number (under Server Properties, on the Processor tab). SQL Server will allocate threads as needed and multi-threaded processes will run faster. I think you'd be better off leaving the settings the way they are, lowering the max # of threads will lower performance.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000