Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQL Server - Timeouts

Author  Topic 

scelamko
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

309 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-12 : 16:25:08
guys,

I have OLTP database with 30GB in size, there 60 workstations with our application using this database.

At sporadic times during peak business hours we get timeouts - 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired'. I have not been able to track down the problem. I have tried to check memory on the server during the day or any processes on the server which I are causing any contention for the resources. But no luck so far...

Can you guys advise on the reason behind such sporadic timeouts.

Thanks

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 07:11:43
Can be something not related to SQL Server.

Is there an automatic defragmentation tool installed on the server?
What more than database is the server used for?

It could be something related to SQL Server.

The timeout can occur due to locking problems.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

jocampo
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 08:31:45
Try to run SQL Server Profiler ... let it run for a few hours ... use T-SQL Profile Duration and catch the info. Analyze then.

Did you check the network for bottlenecks? Also, a memory, CPU and disk assestment is a good idea too. But my 1st impression is that it could be a network problem or something in the code (timeout values) We had a similar problem here at work. I found big SELECT * FROM queries running at same time (i found this using SQL Profiler). This was creating too much traffic in the SQL server and active sessions was recieving a time out warning (an app. problem)

quote:
Originally posted by scelamko

guys,

I have OLTP database with 30GB in size, there 60 workstations with our application using this database.

At sporadic times during peak business hours we get timeouts - 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired'. I have not been able to track down the problem. I have tried to check memory on the server during the day or any processes on the server which I are causing any contention for the resources. But no luck so far...

Can you guys advise on the reason behind such sporadic timeouts.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

scelamko
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

309 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 08:38:28
How can I check on locking, is it locking of the DB objects or locking of the processes during the DML operations
Go to Top of Page

jocampo
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 10:20:34
Hi.

SQL Profiler can be used to monitor and record locking information. You can also use Performance Monitor to monitor lock activity (SQL Server Locks Object counter)

quote:
Originally posted by scelamko

How can I check on locking, is it locking of the DB objects or locking of the processes during the DML operations

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -