Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - SQL Server 2005/Yukon
 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Author  Topic 

trouble2
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

267 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 04:59:50
Hi I'm trying to install SQL Express 2005 with collation: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS but I can't select this as an option.

I can select Latin1_General and then I have some options:
- Binary
- Case sensitive
- Accent sensitive
- Binary - Code point
- Kana - sensitive
- Width - sensitive

What should I do to get the right collation?

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 05:40:13
CI_AS stands for case insensitive, accent sensitive.
Have you selected a sql server collation?
If you don't know then just select those options and see what you end up with.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

trouble2

267 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 05:46:53
Yes, there was an other option below the ones i mentioned.
It had some predefined collations, it said: SQL collations (used for compatability with previous versins of sql server)

I selected the one that said:
Dictionary order, Case-Insensitive, Accent-Sensitive, for use with 1252 Character set.

I found out what these items ment at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/instsql/in_collation_6gfn.asp

Go to Top of Page

trouble2

267 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 05:53:21
SQL Express 2005 on the production server had SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as default collation. While on my local system it had Latin1_General_CI_AS

They where both standard installations of SQL Express 2005.
It appears this difference has something to do with the language of the operating system.
Go to Top of Page

trouble2

267 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 05:54:50
Microsoft is causing me a lot of problems here, maybe I should sew them to....
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1168 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-13 : 07:13:38
I had similar problems when using SQL2000. After going through it for a while, I have since avoided doing default installations, and do custom installations to ensure that the code page is exactly the same. As you mentioned above, the impression I got from my investigations when I had this issue with SQL2000 was that it related to OS and SQL installations.

Basically, imho, don't do default installations. Do custom installations, and select the SQL collation, explicit select the relevant collection (in your case SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS). By using the default installations, I too found that in some cases you end up with SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS and in other cases Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. SQL installations should always be consistent across all of your environments, or you may have unexpected problems.

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Chaos, Disorder and Panic ... my work is done here!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -