Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 advice for newbie please

Author  Topic 

denman73
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 06:33:17
I want to convert an Access-based application to a SQL solution with either a web front-end or Windows forms (it’s used by 120 users). Can anyone give me any advice? General advice is great but also can anyone help with the following:
(a) In my Access app I have a function that allows users to paste a comment from one form into a field on another. Will I be able to achieve this using either windows forms or ASP.NET VB?
(b) What is the SQL version of autonumber so that new records automatically have an ID that is unique in the same way that Access generates numbers?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

chiragkhabaria
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1907 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 06:40:07
quote:

In my Access app I have a function that allows users to paste a comment from one form into a field on another. Will I be able to achieve this using either windows forms or ASP.NET VB?

Yes, for the windows form you need to write a small code for it, but
in the webpages this is the defualt option enabled by the web browsers.

quote:

What is the SQL version of autonumber so that new records automatically have an ID that is unique in the same way that Access generates numbers?

There is a idenitity property, which will allow you to do same in SQL Server

Chirag
Go to Top of Page

denman73
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 08:53:04
Thanks Chirag!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -