Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 unable to create new database

Author  Topic 

newsql2000
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 12:34:22
Hello friends,
I'm using SQL server 2000. For some reason i can't create new database. When I right mouse click to create database...the new databse tab is disable... It's said no permission for sysadmin... something like that. Would someone please help me for this problem.. Thanks in advanced...

humanpuck
Yak Posting Veteran

94 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 13:37:40
You need to be logged in as SA or have System Administrator Role assigned to your user ID.
Go to Top of Page

newsql2000
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 14:01:10
i have logged in as sysadmin, but still can't act any job...can't created new database... It alwasys said "you do not have permission". Eventhough, I logged in as SA...
Go to Top of Page

humanpuck
Yak Posting Veteran

94 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 14:15:58
In EM go to users, double click on sa and see what roles are assigned to it...if you're logged in as SA theres no way you should't be able to create a DB.
Go to Top of Page

newsql2000
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 16:13:51
everything is disable...I can't click on anything... new database ... new users tab was disbaled I can't act any job..three must be a permission on SQL folder somewhere..But i don't know...
Go to Top of Page

newsql2000
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 17:40:48
FYI: I logged in as sysadmin,when i open EM right click on (local) database properties, then i have a msg pop up said "Only member of the system role can access this feature." I logged in as Administrator, but don't know why i have this msg...any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

DonAtWork
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2167 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-20 : 07:26:39
are you logged in as system administrator for your local machine, or are you logging in to SQL SERVER as 'SA'
NOT 'sysadmin', NOT 'system administrator', actual 'SA'

Help us help YOU!
Read this blog entry for more details: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25.aspx

*need more coffee*
SELECT * FROM Users WHERE CLUE > 0
(0 row(s) affected)
Go to Top of Page

tonymorell10
Yak Posting Veteran

90 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-20 : 08:52:57
If you are relying on Windows Authentication, IN EM goto Security->Logins and check the properties for the Windows or Domain User you are logged in as. 'System Administrators' priviledges must be checked.
Go to Top of Page

newsql2000
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-20 : 12:55:45
thank you very much for your help. I have logged in as system administrator for my local machine...But I can't check properties or act any job... I will try Tony's suggestion...
Go to Top of Page

newsql2000
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-20 : 15:39:35
you know what...the happenned is I uncheck sysadmin role in 'sa' account, that is why I can't create or make new database...Do you know the way that I can restore this sysadmin role back to 'sa'. I created 'sa' account inside computer management console, but it's not working properly... I'm so confused.. Please help this stupid newbie... Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-20 : 17:33:34
quote:
Originally posted by newsql2000

you know what...the happenned is I uncheck sysadmin role in 'sa' account, that is why I can't create or make new database...Do you know the way that I can restore this sysadmin role back to 'sa'. I created 'sa' account inside computer management console, but it's not working properly... I'm so confused.. Please help this stupid newbie... Thanks

Why are you confused? You took away sysadmin permissions from yourself, so now you don't have sysadmin permissions. Kind of like locking your house keys in the house.

Unless there is another account with sysadmin permissions that can grant the permissions back, you're locked out.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

newsql2000
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-20 : 18:37:31
This is how I remove sysadmin in 'sa' account.

I logged in with user 'administrator' on local system this is an administrator account. I have all kind of access to anything. IN EM goto Security->Logins, I right click on 'sa' account. I Assigned 'sa' account with new password, and then I uncheck sysadmin option on 'sa' account. After I did that...the connection of database still work well. But the only thing I can't do is. I can't create a new database (this option is disabled, I can't click on it) or I can't create a new login as well. So, I think after uncheck sysadmin role at 'sa' account this might have caused some problem....this is where i'm ending..
Go to Top of Page

newsql2000
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-20 : 18:47:50
Thank you very much Michael. I have pulled up size-window and jump in the house, then i can unlock myself.. Now i can open the door..everything is working fine as normal...

Once again, thank you very much for all yours help....BIG HUG to each of you....THANKS

p/s i will go take a sql administrator course now...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -