SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Twit List
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

United Kingdom
3608 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  05:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

I'm open to suggestions on the custom title.

Shame if he never posts again as he's quite funny..

How about "Has yet to learn the Outer limits"

Edited by - RickD on 08/26/2009 05:49:01
Go to Top of Page

jimf
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

USA
2869 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  07:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that!
How about "Plonker From Beyond the Outer Limits"?

Jim
Go to Top of Page

cat_jesus
Aged Yak Warrior

547 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  09:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickD

quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

I'm open to suggestions on the custom title.

Shame if he never posts again as he's quite funny..

How about "Has yet to learn the Outer limits"

I think his ego is too inflated for him to disappear just yet. I can't wait for him to show us how to "symphonize a database"

Did you see his "company" website? Database wizardry is one of the things "they" do. I wonder if "they" use a cauldron and potions in their wizardry or just stick to spells and wands.

Please excuse me while I recite my reindex incantation.

An infinite universe is the ultimate cartesian product.
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

Sweden
30108 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  09:46:19  Show Profile  Visit SwePeso's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IncisiveOne >= WhiteFang?

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

cat_jesus
Aged Yak Warrior

547 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  10:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peso,
I was just thinking about how much fun it would be to get those two sniping at each other. That would be hilarious.

Experts only please.

Go to Top of Page

TG

USA
6059 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  10:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peso

IncisiveOne >= WhiteFang?

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"

Similar personalities but WhiteFang is much younger than IncisiveOne. Hmm...maybe they are father/son.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

TG

USA
6059 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  17:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, he's still posting...
I get the idea that he's one of those guys that goes out to a bar with his friends not to have a drink with his friends but rather to find someone else in the bar to have a fight with. He is just making statements to get people to "fight" with him. He is by no means supporting the spirit of this forum. maybe his title should be "chip" as in has a chip on his shoulder.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

USA
5072 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  11:49:30  Show Profile  Visit russell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i can't believe i let this guy draw me into an argument. the problem is when people post that kind of garbage, someone might actually believe them...scary. exact same attitude as sqlusa on the sqlmag forum. i'd almost swear its the same guy.

unwilling to learn and then gets offended when people point out where he's wrong. wow.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15655 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  12:44:23  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we attract a few of those every year. As long as you recognize them ASAP they can be quite entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  10:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I tried to have a civil dialog with this guy and just stick to the facts, but his rudeness and insults really make it a chore. The only reason I posted on that thread was to counterbalance some of the misinformation he is putting out there.

Some of his posts imply that he is going to stop posting here, but he seems to be incapable of not having the last word.

Moving away from a cursor to while loop
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=131674

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15655 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  11:41:04  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Give it a week or so, avoid him if you can.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAustin
Yak Posting Veteran

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  13:59:14  Show Profile  Click to see RyanAustin's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But you also have to wonder. Does, IncisiveOne, talk, the way, he, types? I didn't think William Shatner had the time to become a self proclaimed "Guru"

"What is it now, are you suggesting that, given a Relational database, which has a relational logical key in the table, when one has to loop through the rows "
Go to Top of Page

cat_jesus
Aged Yak Warrior

547 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  14:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan, I met one other person who wrote like that. He was insane and not nearly as bright as he thought he was. He had difficulty having personal relationships with anyone. I suspect that InsecureOne has the same kind of difficulties.

Go to Top of Page

RyanAustin
Yak Posting Veteran

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  14:04:17  Show Profile  Click to see RyanAustin's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cat_jesus

Ryan, I met one other person who wrote like that. He was insane and not nearly as bright as he thought he was. He had difficulty having personal relationships with anyone. I suspect that InsecureOne has the same kind of difficulties.

Oh dear help us
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

South Africa
4507 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  16:19:53  Show Profile  Visit GilaMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Btw, if anyone's interested in the actual reasons for not using outer joins, look at C. J. Date's works. One of his books is available online through Safari books. His stance against outer joins stems from his work on NULLs in the relational model. It's worth reading, even if you don't agree with his stance.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

South Africa
4507 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  16:23:20  Show Profile  Visit GilaMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

OK, I tried to have a civil dialog with this guy and just stick to the facts, but his rudeness and insults really make it a chore. The only reason I posted on that thread was to counterbalance some of the misinformation he is putting out there.

Well if he goes off at me there it'll be the third time this year that someone has insulted and sworn at me for insisting that clustered indexes don't guarantee order.

I must say I'm surprised that someone who claims to follow the relational model would assume an order on a table.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  17:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GilaMonster

Btw, if anyone's interested in the actual reasons for not using outer joins, look at C. J. Date's works. One of his books is available online through Safari books. His stance against outer joins stems from his work on NULLs in the relational model. It's worth reading, even if you don't agree with his stance.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP

Is it a comparison of some "ideal and pure" relational database against a “corrupted version” implemented by database vendors, or does it take on the problems of how to solve the problems addressed by OUTER JOINS in a real-world RDBMS, like SQL Server?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15655 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  17:51:49  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is it a comparison of some "ideal and pure" relational database against a “corrupted version” implemented by database vendors
Um, it's Chris Date, what else does he write about?
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

South Africa
4507 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  04:39:50  Show Profile  Visit GilaMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

Is it a comparison of some "ideal and pure" relational database against a “corrupted version” implemented by database vendors, or does it take on the problems of how to solve the problems addressed by OUTER JOINS in a real-world RDBMS, like SQL Server?

Didn't read it entirely, looks more theoretical, about the relational model, how to use the 'corrupted versions' in a way that's closer to the theoretical ideal, etc.

If you're interested: http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780596155865
Free trial, you don't need membership.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

blindman

USA
2365 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  10:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GilaMonster
I must say I'm surprised that someone who claims to follow the relational model would assume an order on a table.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty ironic too.

Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000