Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 An instance without network connectivity

Author  Topic 

webby2006
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-07-27 : 11:31:49
We have SBS 2003 functioning as our domain controller, active directory and exchange server. SQL Server 2000 MSDE installed with quite a few instances one of which to serve a SharePoint Team Portal and the other is for enterprise backup purposes.
I am certain that all instances are functional. I have tested the SharePoint administrator, creation and editing of contents which I discovered to be saved successfully which led me to believe that the database part is working as it should.

The problem comes when I try to connect to the server from my development client machine via LAN using Data Link features of Access project. Access can see the instance name of the BackupExec but not of the SharePoint. With some searching I think I have narrowed the answer to something to do with Network untilies i.e. TCP/IP not originally installed. Would this likely be the case, the server is a production server therefore would it be possible to add networks tools without rebooting. Do I need to re-patch once these tools are installed.

Many thanks,

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-27 : 11:36:02
MSDE installs without network connectivity by default. There is a readme that comes with MSDE that explains the installation arguments.

I think all you need to do is run the server network utility and enable TCP/IP for this instance.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-27 : 11:36:55
oh, and then I believe you need to restart the instance after enabling tcp/ip. anyway, all this info is in the readme that comes with the MSDE installation.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -