Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 missing ndf/mdf file

Author  Topic 

anupam_sharma
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-07-29 : 01:55:06
Hi,

Recently my server harddisk crashed and I Lost a one of the secondary data files of sqlserver database.
I have the main file intact and the recent data was also in that file only, but I was unable to attach the database as it required the other data files also.

Is there any way to create the database again from the existing data file( unfortunately there is no backup also which we can use to recreate the missing data file)

thanks
Anupam

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-29 : 05:03:53
If you have multiple data files and no backup then I reckon you are hosed when you lose one datafile.

If you haven't already done please put a robust backup strategy in place

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-29 : 21:23:40
Nope - if you've lost a data file then you've had it.

I *really* must start a company recovering data for people who get themselves into this kind of mess needlessly...

Paul Randal
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine + SQL Express
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-29 : 21:38:17
I think maybe a premium rate phone service to deliver a recorded message
"Take and test regular backups if you don't want to lose your data"

(Took a few attempts to get it to be that polite.)

I keep telling companies that the frequency of tested backups corresponds to how much data they are happy to lose and that putting in a system without any backups means they are happy to rebuild it from scratch but they never listen.

Had one recently where I said I could put a backup process in place just in case - would take about 5 mins.
The response was they would form a project to decide what to do about it.
Two nights later they lost the database - took about 4 weeks to recover from it.
The IT manager at the next managers meeting said it was a good thing because they have now know about the risk so it was progress.
I was at the meeting but he carefully didn't look at me.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -