Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Just got "hacked" by SQL inject?

Author  Topic 

december
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 12:13:22
Hello,
I came into work the other day to find out that someone had "hacked" into our websites via SQL injection. Well this is what I believe anyways because they added a new row in one of my tables which was a snippet of code that redirected my pages.

How can I stop this from happening again? I believe they went threw a search bar I have. Besides erasing the search completely.

thank you,
d

mwjdavidson
Aged Yak Warrior

735 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 12:26:54
Restrict database access to parametised stored procs wherever possible.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

december
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 12:38:58
Could you dummy that down for me? SQL is one of my weak points.

Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 12:51:49
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2006/07/21/10728.aspx

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
blog thingie: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 15:04:28
quote:
Originally posted by december

Could you dummy that down for me? SQL is one of my weak points.

wow. You need to hire someone who knows what they are doing then.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

december
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 15:13:26
Im here trying to get some help. so please keep your stupid comments to yourself.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 15:16:25
quote:

Im here trying to get some help. so please keep your stupid comments to yourself.

if SQL is your weak point, then you will have trouble securing your system. There is nothing I can do about that.

Your best bet is to hire someone who is not weak at SQL in order to fix your problem.

I find this to be excellent advice and I doubt anyone else on this forum will disagree with me.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 15:22:54
quote:
Originally posted by mwjdavidson

Mark

This means that all access to data is done through stored procedures that you pass arguments to. These arguments are parsed and things like '--' and single quotes are escaped so someone cannot easiliy inject their own code.

google a bit and you will find ways to make your applicaiton more secure. Here is a link with some good info and examples http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/sql-injection.html

-ec

Go to Top of Page

Srinika

1378 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 15:29:18
quote:

..... keep your stupid comments to yourself.

december,

U seems to have a good future and good attitude towards getting help.

Srinika
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 15:33:46
quote:
Originally posted by Srinika

quote:

..... keep your stupid comments to yourself.

december,

U seems to have a good future and good attitude towards getting help.

Srinika

Maybe I was a little harsh in what I said, or maybe the tone was a little off.

The main issue though is if your database was attacked in this way, then all of the data in your system is now comprimised. Hopefully december doesn't have SSNs or credit cards or medical records or something like that in the db.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 16:31:01
quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

quote:
Originally posted by mwjdavidson

Mark

This means that all access to data is done through stored procedures that you pass arguments to. These arguments are parsed and things like '--' and single quotes are escaped so someone cannot easiliy inject their own code.

google a bit and you will find ways to make your applicaiton more secure. Here is a link with some good info and examples http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/sql-injection.html

Actually .. you don't need stored procedures to use parameters, and parameters are not parsed or escaped.

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 17:22:22
quote:
Originally posted by jsmith8858

Actually .. you don't need stored procedures to use parameters, and parameters are not parsed or escaped.

- Jeff

right, I was trying to translate what was said earlier as was requested by the original poster.

There are many ways to protect against SQL injection and using stored procedures that accept specific arguments and whose values are scrutinized prior to execution is one way. Checking the arguments that have been passed to your sproc and escaping out any single quotes is probably a pretty smart thing to do. Obviously, this is not handled automatically for you. You need to code things like this.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 17:25:21
this has probably been posted here before, but here is a demo of some sql injection techniques to gain access to a "secured" website.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MJNJjh4jORY

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 17:28:43
December: sql injection isn't too hard to stop and there are a few simple things you can do. First of all make sure that all sql server special characters are replaced with their html equivalent (I assume this is a web app), like ', %, #. Also make sure that all you HTML form fields have tha MAXLENGTH property set (this can be hacked but makes it a little less easy). Both of these things needs to be done in your web-app *before* you send it to the database. And finally, as several others have suggested, never use inline sql in you web application. Wrap everything you do inside stored procedures and make sure that you use proper datatypes for all parameters. Making procedures for everything can be timeconsuming but it's worth it in the long run.

Oh, and one other thing: make sure that the database user in the connection-string only has permissions in the database you are using, I'm praying that it's not a system administrator account (God forbid!).

--
Lumbago
"Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 17:35:06
Awesome video btw!

--
Lumbago
"Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 21:46:23
quote:
Checking the arguments that have been passed to your sproc and escaping out any single quotes is probably a pretty smart thing to do. Obviously, this is not handled automatically for you. You need to code things like this.

Why do you need to escape single quotes for a parameter? Unless you are concatenating a big sql string and executing it directly, there is no reason to do this.

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-09 : 23:33:35
quote:

Do you think calling people stupid will encourage them to help you?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-10 : 01:56:40
quote:
Originally posted by jsmith8858

Why do you need to escape single quotes for a parameter? Unless you are concatenating a big sql string and executing it directly, there is no reason to do this.

ok.

Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-10 : 10:26:08
Sorry, i am not trying to troll or pick a fight, I just get frustrated when people don't really understand *why* SQL injection happens, like the guy who posted here a few weeks back who was making a list of all SQL keywords so that he could "protect" his code. Most SQL injection happens because people don't understand it, and they think it is a major effort to write their code in a way that prevents it, when it is actually amazingly easy.

I have two blog posts about this (more or less):

Use parameters: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2006/07/21/10728.aspx
SQL Injectionable? http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2006/04/21/9651.aspx

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LoztInSpace
Aged Yak Warrior

940 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-11 : 00:28:13
Nicely said jsmith8858 & eyechart.
Without wishing to sound harsh on Lumbago, disregard his comments about replacing characters. You need never touch your data - just use the appropriate interfaces - i.e. bind your variables in prepared statements at the client end. If you find your self writing SQL = SQL + " and ID=" + myID STOP!

As for eyechart's comments about getting someone who knows what they are doing - right on. I took my car to the mechanic the other day to get it serviced. He told me he knew all about paintwork and uphostery but when he said "that engine thingie and the mechanical stuff is one of my weak points" it made me think if I was talking to the right guy for the job.....
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-11 : 02:41:46
I have always used malicious character replacement as a method of protecting my app agains sql injection and I still belive that it works quite well. I have read numerous articles about it in the past and my apps have never been hacked. That doesn't mean that this is the only way and I agree that parameterising is better but I found it to be more of a hassle. I always use stored procedures with carefully chosen datatypes/lengths aswell so I belive I have been well protected.

But since you are all preching about parameterising; can character replacement be hacked? I'm asking out of curiosity and not to be a smarta$$...'cause if it can I need to do some serious modifications

--
Lumbago
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Page&nsp;  Next Page

- Advertisement -