Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL Server 2005 not starting at boot, Windows 2000

Author  Topic 

khyron
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-15 : 13:12:16
Please feel free to redirect me if this has been previously addressed. I've read through the FAQ post and searched the forums, and as yet haven't found anything relevant on Google so I'm hoping you folks can help.

I am using SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on a fully patched Windows 2000 Server, and for some reason the database just will not start up when the machine starts or reboots. The service starts fine if I go start it by hand though. This is obnoxious because it prevents me from running fully automated updates to the box since that reboots it at least once a week on "patch Tuesday".

Here are what my related services and their startup types look like:

SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) Automatic
SQL Server Active Directory Helper Disabled
SQL Server Browser Disabled
SQL Server VSS Writer Manual

This is a production machine so I'd prefer not to run any services I don't have to. All this database needs to do is sit there and get hit by a local Cold Fusion instance that talks to it by TCP/IP. Any administration on it I tend to do locally with Management Studio Express by remotely logging into the server on it's internal IP.

The really weird thing is, I have these services configured exactly the same on development environments I've created in Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition. This seems to be specific to Windows 2000 Server, and I just can't figure it out...

Any advice much appreciated!

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-15 : 13:36:18
What does Event Viewer show for the reason why it won't startup?

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

khyron
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-16 : 09:51:31
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

What does Event Viewer show for the reason why it won't startup?

Tara Kizer

Good point, sorry - I should have been more verbose up front. Here's what happens in the Application log related to MSSQLSERVER when the box boots up:

Performance counter shared memory setup failed with error -1. Reinstall sqlctr.ini for this instance, and ensure that the instance login account has correct registry permissions.

Error in mapping SQL Server performance object/counter indexes to object/counter names. SQL Server performance counters are disabled.

Server failed to listen on 192.168.234.235 <ipv4> 1433. Error: 0x2741. To proceed, notify your system administrator.

TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x2741, status code 0xa.

TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x2741, status code 0x1.

Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, review the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.

SQL Server could not spawn FRunCM thread. Check the SQL Server error log and the Windows event logs for information about possible related problems.

The really curious thing is, afterwards, once the box has been running for a minute and Remote Desktop is started up and I can log into it, I can run services.msc and right-click and "Start" the MSSQLSERVER service just fine. When I do so, nothing like the above shows up in the Application Log and it starts just fine. In fact, I looked in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG and there are no errors at all...

I should probably also add that we're trying to get off this Windows 2000 machine in the next few months. I don't really need to fully troubleshoot this if I can just put a band-aid on it. If there's some issue with something not being "ready" for SQL Server to start at boot, is there any way I could reconfigure something to start the SQL Server at a later point, without having to log in and do it myself?

I know that would be kind of a kludge but it would be sufficient if fixing the above would be time consuming. I really want to get us to a new machine as this older box has other issues (I inherited it from a predecessor who never did any maintenance).

Thanks in advance for continued advice!
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-16 : 11:58:59
As a kludge...can you start the service in a batch file...and precede it with a 'timer' to build up a 'wait' period....or put the batch on a scheduler'
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-16 : 12:29:13
It sounds like you've got some network issue on the database server that is causing the service not to start. Perhaps some dependent service isn't starting in time for the SQL Server service. By the time that you manually start it, perhaps it has. I'd call Microsoft on this one as they've got the tools to help determine the root cause.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-17 : 04:33:39
How locked down is this server? I wouldn't be entirely surprised if there was an underlying permissions issue here.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-17 : 04:52:57
Do you have a software firewall? It seems to be blocking listening to port 1433, until properly started up.

Check what network protocols are enabled for SQL Server in the SQL Configuration Manager application. If the VIA protocol is enabled disable it and then try starting the SQL Server service again.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

khyron
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-17 : 11:13:12
quote:
Originally posted by Peso

Do you have a software firewall? It seems to be blocking listening to port 1433, until properly started up.

Check what network protocols are enabled for SQL Server in the SQL Configuration Manager application. If the VIA protocol is enabled disable it and then try starting the SQL Server service again.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden

Thank you Peter! I think that was the issue. The machine in question is "dual homed" and while I had TCP/IP turned off on the external IP and on for localhost, I also had it turned on for the internal IP to let our backup agent do it's thing. Something on the box (I didn't set the machine up personally) must not have liked SQL Server trying to talk on that internal IP during the boot process because as soon as I turned that IP off in SQL Server's protocol management the startup occured just fine at boot.

Problem solved!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -