Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Backup job fail !!!

Author  Topic 

sss555
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-21 : 00:03:05
Hi there
I have a problem. Please help me.

My SAP server run on SQL Server Platform Window 2000, i run backup job on SAP and it will create job on SQL server manager.The job will fail and show error message :

Executed as user: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
DBCC execution completed.
If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.
[SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 2528) ConnectionRead (WrapperRead()).
[SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 258) General network error.
Check your network documentation.
[SQLSTATE 08S01] (Error 11)BACKUP LOG FAP TO R3DUMP1 WITH MEDIANAME='RL22S',FORMAT, MEDIADESCRIPTION = 'SAP CCMS Log Backup of FAP [20060622130759]' ,NOUNLOAD,RETAINDAYS=7
[SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 0) Processed 44286 pages for database 'FAP', file 'FAPLOG1' on file 1.
[SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 4035). The step failed.

But if i run backup directly on SQL Server manager , it can backup properly and a Third-party backup program can do also.

Thank in advance

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-21 : 00:10:11
this is going to be a hard issue for us to solve. Your best bet is to search OSS for issues regarding backup failures.

With that in mind, we can try to help narrow things down.

1. When you say that a third-party backup works, what does that mean exactly? which 3rd party backup are you referring to?
2. Have you attempted to backup your database using standard TSQL Backup commands? Does that succeed?
3. What backup destination are you using? is it backing up to local disk or are you attempting to backup to a remote network share?
4. Is your SAP environment setup exactly how SAP recommends? There are many OSS notes that are very specific in regards to database setup. Is your system configured exactly as specified?
5. Does the backup job that SAP creates have steps that you can execute manually? Can you narrow down which step(s) are failing this way?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

sss555
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-21 : 06:16:57
Thank for your respone

1. Veritas backup software
2. I nerver backup using command line but i can run database backup on SQL enterprise manager
3. backup to SCCI tape (oh.. i forgot tell to it) on local system and i think it refer addess correctly
4. Regarding to SAP env, Backing up was work until tape drive damage. Hardware vendor come to change it
and after that it cannot work. so i think config on sap is not change.
5. After i run backup using transection on SAP, it will create job task (backgroud) in job window of SQL enterprise manager
and manual backup it will execute foreground

Normally i alway run backup via SAP so i don't fimiliar with using directly SQL server.
then i cannot guess that the error was happen in which step.

Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-21 : 11:09:24
ok, I think something has happened to your R3DUMP1 backup device. This is a config in the SQL server that points the backup commands to a backup destination. Since the hardware vendor changed something in your backup hardware, it is likely that this configuration no longer works.

You should look through your docs regarding how you initially setup the R3DUMP1 backup device. That should hopefully have information for creating doing a drop and re-create of your R3DUMP1 tape device. This is a fairly straightforward procedure, so if you can't find those docs and you feel like following a complete strangers advice you can follow the steps below. Since this is SAP, I would really recommend that you contact their support on something like this - rather than take advice off of the internet.

Here is the entry from SQL Server Books Online for creating a tape backup device. If you follow these steps, I recommend you look at the existing config (take screenshots, etc) before you drop and re-create. Keep in mind that the new dump device that you create needs to be named the same as the old dump device.

How to create a logical tape backup device (Enterprise Manager)
To create a logical tape backup device

1. Expand a server group, and then expand a server.

2. Expand Management, right-click Backup, and then click New Backup Device.

3. In the Name box, type a name for the named backup device.

4. Click Tape drive name, and then click the tape device to use as the tape backup device.

Note If no tape devices are listed, then no tape devices can be detected on the local computer. For more information about how to set up tape devices, see the Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0 and Windows® 2000 documentation.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

sss555
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-30 : 23:35:38
Thank for your help.
now i cannot test following your advice cos tape drive or/and scci card damage.
so i have to wait hardware vendor to change it.

Thank agian
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -