Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 difficulty adding a record in SSMSE

Author  Topic 

khyron
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-21 : 14:19:02
I'm new to SQL Server and I'm using 2005 Express with SSMSE, and having trouble adding a record to a table "manually" by typing in the data.

I find I can change most of the fields by viewing the table in SSMSE and just clicking on the field and editing it then clicking "execute SQL" but for some reason the changes don't "take" when a date field is involved.

Is there a special or proper way to enter a date that I'm not aware of? I'm not having much success figuring out this online help stuff from within SSMSE, I keep getting to help on the help system itself (oops).

TIA!

chiragkhabaria
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1907 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-22 : 04:08:06
what format are you trying to insert the date as??

and post the error message you are getting??

Chirag
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-22 : 04:08:52
Clicking Execute SQL, while in edit mode, undo your edit.
You have to move focus from that cell, with either tab or arrow keys. Now click "Execute SQL" and you will se that the changes you made are there.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

khyron
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-22 : 09:49:15
quote:
Originally posted by Peso

Clicking Execute SQL, while in edit mode, undo your edit.
You have to move focus from that cell, with either tab or arrow keys. Now click "Execute SQL" and you will se that the changes you made are there.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden

Thank you Peter! That was exactly what I was doing. I was being over-eager and either hitting the "Execute SQL" button in the menu bar or right clicking and choosing "Execute SQL" on the same cell, but each time I tried I had not changed focus yet.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -