Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Disaster Recover Preferences

Author  Topic 

bfos7215
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-22 : 22:05:54
I'm trying to get an idea of how system databases should be restored in terms of disaster recovery.

I've read a lot on here about making sure to back up the system databases, which we do. But I've also read suggestions that master shouldn't be restored on a new instance, but rather, previously saved scripts for logins and other objects should just be run on the newly installed master database.

My current plan is to restore the master database and use the data in that database to generate a script that will restore all of the remaining user databases, plus msdb.

The new server will be configured the same, with the same instance names and patch levels.

How does this sound?

I've also played with the idea of restoring master to a temporary database (master_restore for example) and scripting out objects from that database on onto the new master database.

Thanks for the advice.

Brian

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-01 : 17:27:53
"I've also played with the idea of restoring master to a temporary database (master_restore for example) and scripting out objects from that database on onto the new master database."

That's fine .. "BUT" ...

"I've also read suggestions that master shouldn't be restored on a new instance"

Restoring MASTER is fine, provided that the Drive/Folder structure is the same as the original - which is A Good Idea. "BUT" ...

"How does this sound?"

IF your Restore machine has the same drive mappings etc. then you are Good To Go. It will be a doddle.

BUT ... in all seriousness TEST IT If the harshest tests you can throw at it finds no problems you are almost certainly good-to-go. If you have made some real-world-tests, or you have not made them in the last month or two, then you are at great risk of all-not-being-what-it-sees-to-be-on-the-day - and then you are on your own!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -