Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 How to configure SQL server 2000 for remote access

Author  Topic 

siva
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 14:31:38
Hi ,

we have SQL Server 2000 under windows 2003 adv server.
we need to connect to remote SQL Server from the local SQL server.

can u plz furnish the detailed steps to configure the local SQL Server in such a way that it could be able to connect the remote SQL Server and access the database.

Ur help would be appreciated..!!!

regards
siva

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 14:56:13
There is nothing that needs to be configured for SQL Server to allow remote connections. For SQL Server to SQL Server access, are you referring to linked server? Are you getting an error?

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

igorblackbelt
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

407 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 15:09:33
I believe he's saying that he needs to access the server from the users PC, correct siva ?
If so, you need to install the Connectivity Tools for SQL server, that can be found on the same CD that you installed SQL Server from. And, if the Server is not on the same network that your PCs are, you'll need port 1433 open.

Hope this helps.

---
"There's no sexy way to carry a lunch bag." My boss
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 15:16:52
quote:
Originally posted by igorblackbelt

I believe he's saying that he needs to access the server from the users PC, correct siva ?
If so, you need to install the Connectivity Tools for SQL server, that can be found on the same CD that you installed SQL Server from. And, if the Server is not on the same network that your PCs are, you'll need port 1433 open.

Hope this helps.

---
"There's no sexy way to carry a lunch bag." My boss

You don't need the "Connectivity Tools" to be installed on the client PC in order to connect to SQL Server. You just need MDAC on the PC. Now if siva is referring to Query Analyzer and/or Enterprise Manager, then yes the Client Tools need to be installed, but neither of those tools was mentioned in the original post.

If your server isn't on the same network as the PC, then you shouldn't be using 1433 anyway. You should be using a port that is greater than 10000.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

afrika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 17:24:12
try this

Add your remote server to the client network utility tool and enabale TCP/IP, undeer the alias tab. then click apply.

Register the remote server in EM.

And try connecting. Should work if the port is open

Afrika
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -