Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 net send configuration. . .

Author  Topic 

liquidone
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 14:48:08
This is probably a pretty noob question, but I havent been able to figure it out yet, so Ill give it a shot here.
I just need to set up net send on sql server 2000
I have an operator created for me called mikep.
On the main properties screen for my operator, Im at the place where you can put in a net send address, and there is a test button next to it.
The web server is not in a domain, and is in workgroup "workgroup", and named "webserver-domes".
My workstation where I want the netsend messages sent to is on workgroup "Chasegroup", and is named "mikeworkmain".
They are in the same network, and can both access each others shared docs, etc.
Everything ive typed in their so far has just given me an error, ill list some of the combinations I tried:
mikeworkmain
/mikeworkmain
\mikeworkmain
\\mikeworkmain
/chasegroup:mikeworkmain
\\chasegroup:mikeworkmain
\chasegroup:mikeworkmain

I tried use the microsoft help doc, and do it command prompt, but I couldnt even do that.
What am I overlooking, and how do I get sql server to send me a net send?

snSQL
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1837 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-24 : 18:04:22
Check to see that the Messenger service is enabled on both computers. Then test at a command prompt, type
net send mikeworkmain "Test"
at a command prompt and you should get the message at your workstation if the Messenger service is enabled on both machines. For security reasons it is often disbaled.
Go to Top of Page

liquidone
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 11:50:09
What kind of security threat does it actually pose, if it were active only on the webserver, and my workstation?
Can you enable the service only for the trusted network?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 12:00:07
Not a direct answer to your question, but some networks disable windows profile or group policy net send. There is a net send client that dosen't use net send but behaves similar. It's called LanTalk XP (CEZEO Software/ not free but cheap) and we needed it to run to kiosk PC's and it worked pretty good, I set it up to send me OK/Fail messages for some scheduled jobs (just include an extra job step or two to run shell laninfo <ip> <message> like net send. In case your net send is troublesome.

"it's definitely useless and maybe harmful".
Go to Top of Page

liquidone
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 13:04:56
I kind of answered my own question here Ill post my findings. Several websites mentioned that it was a risk only for messages that were spam, but not instrusion. This problem was fixed apparently 2 years ago, and as long as you have current security updated from microsoft, spam shouldnt even get through. I found a website that will test you for the vulnurability to be sure:
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/winpopup.asp
Go to Top of Page

liquidone
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 13:43:33
OK I got it set up on my workstation, and as it turn out, you dont need to turn the messenger service on on the server at all. It will send alerts when necessary even when the service is disabled. It just wont receive any alerts, which doesnt really matter on a server anyway.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -