Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Front end application

Author  Topic 

associates
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 02:01:22
Hi,

I'd like to get some help on this. I'm new to SQL Server but am keen to learn it. I have SQL Server 2000 SP4 running and wonder what kind of front end application is best suited for SQL Server 2000.

Thank you in advance

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 02:07:32
Almost any programming language will be able to use SQL Server 2000 as backend.
Any modern programming language will work. Use the one that is most comfortable for you.

I think the there most popular languages [alphabetically] are C#, Delphi and VB.Net.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 03:32:15
Delphi? Are you serious? I'd say ASP, VB, VB.NET, C#...but it's like comparing a car designer with a car mechanic. You can't have one without the other, but the designer can design different cars and the mechanic can work with different engines. Usually one only gets really good with one of them...

Edit: forgot about PHP...that's also pretty popular

--
Lumbago
"Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 03:52:19
I mostly use VB as front end. ASP & vbscript sometimes.
But heavy duty DLL calculations such as number crunching, I write in Delphi and call from VB, since I am an old Pascal guy . Database calls I do from VB.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

afrika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 05:53:21
quote:
Originally posted by associates

Hi,

I'd like to get some help on this. I'm new to SQL Server but am keen to learn it. I have SQL Server 2000 SP4 running and wonder what kind of front end application is best suited for SQL Server 2000.

Thank you in advance

Depends on what you intend to do and achieve ?

1. Web ???
2. Desktop App ???
3. Multi OS App ???

virtually all frontend apps use ODBC or a connection string to talk to the backend db

Afrika
Go to Top of Page

KenW
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

391 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 12:26:17
Lumbago,

quote:

Delphi? Are you serious?

Why wouldn't he be? Delphi has more than 500,000 *registered* users worldwide (I highlight the *registered* because there are probably another 1/2 million unregistered users in just a couple of countries I won't mention). And Delphi now does .NET as well as Win32 development.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

associates
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 01:44:04
Thank you all for your support.

I was planning to use VB .Net programming languages as a frontend. At the moment, i use microsoft Access 2003 and I have migrated almost 80% of all the tables and queries from Access to SQL Server 2000. I guess the next step is to re-write for the front end application using VB .Net so that i can totally abandon Access application.

But i've got another question in regards to the report. You know how we can easily set up or create reports in Access using the provided wizard. How do i go about this? do i need another third party software to do the reporting service?

Some of the reports i notice have got tables and are quite complicated layout.

Thank you in advance
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 02:21:54
quote:
Why wouldn't he be?
Delphi might be huge for all I know but the fact that I don't know *anyone* whatsoever that knows Delphi just made it sound a little strange that this could be in the top 5 of programming languages. Maybe I should get som more friends

--
Lumbago
"Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"
Go to Top of Page

svicky9
Posting Yak Master

232 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 04:53:40
You can do reporting in Excel Pivotiong...and there is also reporting in Sql SErver REporting SErvices...which works with the Visual Studio Business Intelligence Studio

Vic
Go to Top of Page

KenW
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

391 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 15:03:25
quote:
Originally posted by Lumbago
Delphi might be huge for all I know but the fact that I don't know *anyone* whatsoever that knows Delphi just made it sound a little strange that this could be in the top 5 of programming languages. Maybe I should get som more friends

--
Lumbago

Well, you know me. I switched from C/C++ to Delphi when Delphi 1 was released (~1996) and haven't looked back since (except to laugh at my friends who still code in C/C++ )

Ken
Go to Top of Page

dewacorp.alliances

452 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 17:38:50
Hi there

Most of any languages will be able to talk with SQL 2000. Obviously, if you are Microsoft fan than you can use C# or VB.NET. Between these, the syntax a bit different.

But if you are Java fans, than you can use Java.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -