Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 RAM setting

Author  Topic 

Westley
Posting Yak Master

229 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 03:21:49
Hi guys,
got an interesting one, I got a cluster with many instances running on each node, each node got 8G of RAM, but the interesting part is on Node A, it keeps on hitting the page file, where the usage is over 90% flat, and usage peak at 100% flat. But in Node B, the page file doesn't get hit at all? Am not too sure whats the diff between the 2, any ideas?
On Node A, the phyical ram shown on task manager is only using around 4G, and its a Win 2003 Ent server with SQL 2k Ent, boot.ini already have /3gb and PAE switch. All SQL instances have AWE enable (someone set that before as its not really required since no one instance use more then 4G of ram)
Any ideas?

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 03:25:52
How is the cluster set up? Failover? Load balancing?

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Westley
Posting Yak Master

229 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 03:43:08
its a windows cluster, so load balancing, active-active since I have instances on both nodes :)
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 03:56:58
I have to ask, since the possiblitiy of Active/Passive configuration.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Westley
Posting Yak Master

229 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 03:58:43
Thats cool, any ideas? as it seems that its using virtual memory instead since its keep hitting the page file, but there are around 4G free of phyical ram on the box, and its not taking it, there is no app install as its a pure sql server box, any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Westley
Posting Yak Master

229 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-25 : 04:01:18
By the way, if its a Active/Passive, it shouldn't happen as well isn't it? since there are still got free phyical ram, it should hit the page file anyway? Or something I'm missing here?
I remember that is AWE enable, it will initial the ram first, and taken everything even if you set it to use dynamic, but if its less then 4G for the instance, AWE will get ignored (which should be the case here).
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -