Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 SQL For DTS Export to Worksheet/Excel

Author  Topic 

vishal_7
Posting Yak Master

127 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 09:50:11
Hello,

I am trying to export data to excel from SQL, but not just CSV - I want the data to be transfered in two sheets but one excel file. I know that the DTS Export can do that, but I need to do that via standard sql. The reason is, because I need to export several tables from my asp.net code. The selection is done by the user. The user will simply select the report he wants to export. I would prefer to use a stored procedure, where I could pass the sql or some other parameters to export the tables to one worksheet. I have already checked the sp_xmdshell but it seems that I can only export that to a csv and only one table per excel file. Is there a way to export several tables to one worksheet via standard sql without using a dts?

Thanks

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 09:55:55
If the Excel file is already created, use OPENROWSET.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 09:57:14
See if this helps
http://sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49926

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

vishal_7
Posting Yak Master

127 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 10:01:34
Thanks guys, I think that will help. I will get it from here.
Go to Top of Page

vishal_7
Posting Yak Master

127 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 10:28:09
Any idea why the following code is failing?

insert into OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', 'Excel 8.0;Database=c:\test.xls;', 'SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]') select * from tblColors

I created an empty file on my local system (c:) - sql runs on a different machine. The excel file is empty, I want all columns to be exported. The sheet name is "Sheet1"

I am getting the error:
OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'Sheet1$'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' IColumnsInfo::GetColumnsInfo returned 0x80004005: ].

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 10:31:56
You have to provide the path FROM the SQL Server TO your file.
use UNC path as '\\YourMachine\YourShare\Test.xls'.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

vishal_7
Posting Yak Master

127 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 10:36:41
Thanks Peter, that did it. However I had to specify the first row in my excel sheet with the column names. Is there a way to avoid that? I tried this:

insert into OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', 'Excel 8.0;Database=\\bla\test.xls;', 'SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]') select * from tblColors

But it complains with:
Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition.

If I add the columns in the first row of my excel sheet, then it works, but I would like to avoid that.
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 11:51:40
Refer this
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp/archive/2006/07/25/10771.aspx

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

vishal_7
Posting Yak Master

127 Posts

Posted - 2006-08-28 : 13:45:35
Thanks Madhivanan, but that seems to use bcp, which creates a csv instead of worksheets, correct? I need to create a worksheet.

The following seems to work:
insert into OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', 'Excel 8.0;Database=\\bla\test.xls;', 'SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]') Select color from t

but this doesnt:
insert into OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', 'Excel 8.0;Database=\\bla\test.xls;', 'SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]') Select color, ColorID ... from t

The problem is that I cant write to the file from my code, because I am using worksheets. If it were a single sheet, then I think I could write to it (not sure though).

Any idea?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -