Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Execution Plan and temporary tables

Author  Topic 

Desmag
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-02 : 09:49:16
Hi,

I'm trying to run Execution Plan on one of my stored procedures and this is an error I'm getting:

Server: Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Procedure Forum_thread_replies_paged, Line 27
Invalid object name '#TempItems'.

#TempItems is a temporary table that I'm using in my sp. Does Execution Plan have a general problem with temp tables or is there something wrong in my t-sql?
PS. Stored procedure executes without errors.

harsh_athalye
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5581 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-02 : 09:54:58
The temporary table which is causing problem is created in the current SP only, or is it a part of calling hierarchy where temp table is created in parent SP and child SP processes it?

By execution plan, do you mean Estimated Execution Plan?

Harsh Athalye
India.
"Nothing is Impossible"
Go to Top of Page

Desmag
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-02 : 10:12:40
Thanks for reply!

The temporary table is in current SP only, and I ment Estimated Execution Plan.
Go to Top of Page

Desmag
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-02 : 12:07:21
What I'm really trying to do is to compare performance of 2 stored procedures. It's just one of them is failing when I run Estimated Execution Plan.

Are there other ways of comparing performances of stored procedures?
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-02 : 12:20:26
Yes, temp tables created inside the SP will cause problems when trying to examine the execution plan of the SP.

>>Are there other ways of comparing performances of stored procedures?
You can examine the actual or estimated execution plan of individual statements from your SP outside the context of the stored procedure.
You can "benchmark" the two SPs. Time them to compare the which performs quicker.
You can temporarily add logging and/or print statements including the current time, rowcounts, parameter values, etc. to time specific sections of your code

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -