Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Getting Wrong ID on Query

Author  Topic 

bobbabuoy
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-02 : 22:22:50
I have a vb app that accesses a data base of participants who are in the db in primarily two tables, a "Roster" table and a "grades" table. This is designed to be able to track their grades from year-to-year. The "Roster" table has their first name, last name, and gender and the "Grade" table has a grade for them for each year that they have been in the database. Here is the problem that I have having:

If I have two different people with the same name and gender on the same team and I call them up to list them in a list box it shows the correct name(s) and grades (even if their grades are different) but shows the same unique id for both of them. It basically shows the id that is associated with the first of the two participants.

For instance, this code:

sql = "SELECT r.RosterID, r.FirstName, r.LastName, r.Gender, g.Grade" & sGradeYear & " FROM Roster r INNER JOIN Grades g "
sql = sql & "ON r.RosterID = g.RosterID WHERE r.TeamsID = " & lTeamID & " AND r.Archive = 'n' ORDER BY r.LastName, r.FirstName"
Set rs = conn.Execute(sql)
Do While Not rs.EOF
lstRoster.AddItem rs(0).Value & "-" & Replace(rs(2).Value, "''", "'") & ", " & rs(1).Value & " (" & rs(3).Value & ", " & rs(4).Value & ")"
rs.MoveNext
Loop
Set rs = Nothing

could show the following:
2441-John Doe (10)
2441-John Doe (11)
if there were two John Doe's on this team where one was in grade 11 and the other in grade 10. I assume there is something wrong with my join but it puzzles me that it lists both of them with the correct ages but only the first RosterID.

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks~

chiragkhabaria
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1907 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-03 : 03:37:57
Just try the following query,

Select * From Grades g Where g.RosterID = 2441

you will be able to see 2 records with different, grade so you are getting duplicate record.

if you want to avoid duplicates, then delete one record from the Grades table based on datetime...

Hope this makes any sense with your requirement.. :)

Chirag
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -