Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Data disappeared (Users missing)

Author  Topic 

afrika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-03 : 20:23:00
hello,
am not sure if this is the right forum to post this.

We have a couple of sites running MS SQL, however we have never had issues with data corruption.

I was working with a certain site and then noticed that all users in the users table were missing except one.

Secondly, the users table had all permissions revoked.

how did this happen and whats the best way to go about restoring it.

Ehi

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-03 : 20:54:32
somebody made some changes, becuase the data won't just disappear - unless the table is corrupted. a DBCC CHECKDB will tell you if you have any corruption.

The way to get it back is to restore your database to another location, and then check the table. If the data is there, copy it across. If it isn't, you go to an earlier backup and repeat.

please tell me you have backups.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

afrika

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-04 : 18:34:27
thanks Eyechart,
sure we do have backups and doing a restore now.

We have never had issues with data corruption in my 4 years working with MS SQL. However, We learn everyday.

Afrika
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-05 : 06:53:13
Its a bitch, for sure.

Last database corruption we had was when a RAID drive went down - which really pissed me off because the whole reason we had RAID was to be immune from hardware failures!!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-05 : 17:30:58
quote:
Originally posted by afrika

thanks Eyechart,
sure we do have backups and doing a restore now.

We have never had issues with data corruption in my 4 years working with MS SQL. However, We learn everyday.

Afrika

How do you know this is data corruption? Sounds more like someone changed the data (accidentally or deliberately). Does CHECKDB come back clean?

Paul Randal
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Core Storage Engine (Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

afrika

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-05 : 18:24:34
quote:
CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'afrika'.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

everything is ok.

Anyway,

... we did a restore, and ...
...we are migrating hosts. So i guess that would be my next set of questions.

afrika
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -