Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 could not deliver the snapshot to the Subscriber

Author  Topic 

DavidNagle
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 06:08:31
Hi Everyone,

I am having an absolute ‘mare trying to setup merge replication using SQL Server 2000 SP4.

I have created a publication to include only the tables from the database I wish to replicate (I have made a copy of the database on the subscriber machine so all the stored procedures etc are already in place). To give the process the best chance of working I have disabled referential integrity on each table in the publication.

When I attempt to subscribe to the publication from another PC (not the same PC as the publication is on), the replication monitor reports an error stating “The process could not deliver the snapshot to the Subscriber.”

The error details…

The process could not deliver the snapshot to the Subscriber.
(Source: Merge Replication Provider (Agent); Error number: -2147201001)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The process could not bulk copy into table '"dbo"."MSmerge_contents"'.
(Source: IMRANMANN (Agent); Error number: 20037)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unable to open BCP host data-file
(Source: ODBC SQL Server Driver (ODBC); Error number: 0)

Interestingly I am able to create a subscription without any problems on the machine where the publication resides (does this indicate a permissions problem)?

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Many Thanks

David

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 08:31:34
some questions:

1. Do you have different collation settings between the publisher and subscriber?

2. Are you running sql server and sqlagent under a local admin account on both systems?

3. Are you running the same SQL edition/Service pack at publisher and subscriber?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 08:36:57
did you see this KB article? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318075

-ec
Go to Top of Page

DavidNagle
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 09:18:16
Hi Eyechart

Thank you for your help.

The publisher is using SQL Server 2000 Personal edition Sp4.
The Subscriber is using SQL Server Developer Edition Sp4.

Both collations publisher and subscriber have collations set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

On the Subscriber the Server and Agent are both using the local system account. On the publisher they are set to use my domain account (could this be the problem?).

I did read that Microsoft Article, but to be honest could not make head nor tail of it and they did not seem to offer a fix unless you called Microsoft Product Support Services – we don’t have a contract with them.

Cheers

Dave
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 09:25:32
quote:
Originally posted by DavidNagle

Hi Eyechart

Thank you for your help.

The publisher is using SQL Server 2000 Personal edition Sp4.
The Subscriber is using SQL Server Developer Edition Sp4.

Both collations publisher and subscriber have collations set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

On the Subscriber the Server and Agent are both using the local system account. On the publisher they are set to use my domain account (could this be the problem?).

I did read that Microsoft Article, but to be honest could not make head nor tail of it and they did not seem to offer a fix unless you called Microsoft Product Support Services – we don’t have a contract with them.

Cheers

Dave

try setting the subscriber to use the same account for the server and agent that the publisher is using. Or if that isn't possible, create an account that is in the local admins group and use it instead of localsystem.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

DavidNagle
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 09:49:22
Hi Eye Chart,

Changing the subscriber to use my domain account seems to have done the trick – thank you very much for your kind and excellent help.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 09:57:55
quote:
Originally posted by DavidNagle

Hi Eye Chart,

Changing the subscriber to use my domain account seems to have done the trick – thank you very much for your kind and excellent help.

Dave

great! thanks for letting us know this worked for you.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -