Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Windows Authentication

Author  Topic 

prakashdotc
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 08:12:56
Hi all,

I'm creating a backup tool for sql server, for registering server name in to tool i use two type of authentication Windows and SQL Authentication, here SQL Authentication is working fine where as with Windows authentication it through a error message as "Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server Connection" and the connection string i'm using for this is "Data Source=dbserver;persist security info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=master;connection timeout=500;Trusted_Connection=yes" and i'm creating this tool with VB.Net

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 08:25:03
Sounds like the domain account (or a any groups that the account is a member of) does not have rights to the box that host that sql server instance. One solution would be to add that domain account to the sql server's local users or groups.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye

5581 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 08:43:14
did you tried to connect to SQL server using QA using windows authentication? does it work there?

Harsh Athalye
India.
"Nothing is Impossible"
Go to Top of Page

prakashdotc
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 10:16:05
thank Harsh & TG for U'r reply, I tried through QA, i could'nt login in, instead of this i created a new sql account with same username user for windows login as 'SERVER\Prakash' and tried through windows authentication it works fine - but my SQL Serve username is 'prakashcd' which is not same as windows login, that's the problem, - is there any other way to solve this problem....?
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-07 : 10:21:33
>>is there any other way to solve this problem....?
You mean besides the solution I offered above?

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

prakashdotc
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-08 : 02:35:23
Ya TG, this tool must work on any system's in client side, there it's not possible to create a account as like domain user account, that's Y. Is there any other way to do this....?
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-08 : 02:40:15
Two suggestions

1) Create a Windows AD Group, and add all users that are allowed to run the application and GRANT access to this group to the database

2) Creata a SQL user, and rewrite application to connect with this user account.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-08 : 03:29:32
quote:
Originally posted by prakashdotc

Ya TG, this tool must work on any system's in client side, there it's not possible to create a account as like domain user account, that's Y. Is there any other way to do this....?

I don't quite understand what you are saying. I think you are saying that your machines are not part of an AD domain.

If your workstation and server are not part of the same AD domain (or in a domain that trusts another domain) then you won't be able to use windows authentication.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -