Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 Can't connect to instance of MSDE

Author  Topic 

flchico
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-08 : 15:54:37
Hi,

I installed SQL Server 2000 in a box (machine name 'SQL') on the network and I can connect to it no problem from my laptop. I created a registration 'SQL' to it in Enterprise Manager in my laptop. Then I installed MSDE in that box 'SQL\MSDEDB' but I can't connect to it from enterprise manager in my laptop. I try to register with 'SQL\MSDEDB' but no success.

I happen to have Enterprise manager in the box where I installed MSDE (b/c of the SQL 2000 installation) also so I registered there with 'SQL\MSDEDB' and it registered successfully.

Any ideas why I can't connect to the MSDE database but I can to the SQL 2000 Database on the same box?

Thanks.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-08 : 15:58:17
Please post your error.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

flchico
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-08 : 17:12:51
Oh Sorry, forgot that, I already left the office, but I think it was something like:

"Server does not exist or access denied"
Go to Top of Page

afrika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 01:50:28
Did you create a client instance in client network utility and select TCP/IP as the default protocol ?

Afrika
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 05:44:01
by default MSDE does not bind itself to TCPIP. You will need to run the server network utility (svrnetcn.exe from the command line) to enable the tcp/ip protocol.

after enabling the protocol you will need to stop/start the MSDE database for the change to take affect.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

flchico
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 09:37:39
Thanks for the replies guys,

Afrika, I ran the utility and set the TCP/IP as the default Network Library and still couldn't connect.

Eyechart, I ran the server network utility and enabled namedpipes and tcp/ip protocols on the server and still can't connect.

Now this is one of the funny things. There are about 10 client machines on the company, 3 of them have Traverse Accounting installed, traverse uses MSDE to manage it's database, so I created another instance on the server for my own database. These 3 machines can connect to my database no problem, all others (they don't have traverse installed) but one can't. The one that can has MS SQL 2000 and MSDE installed in it. Well, also I can connect from my laptop and I have MS SQL 2000 installed.

Another funny thing that I noticed is that the client network utility on the machines that can connect have four tabs (instead of the 2 for the ones that can't connect) and on the General Tab no protocols are enabled and under alias there's nothing, but they can connect with no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 09:40:24
you need to restart the instnace after enabling tcp/ip. did you do that?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

flchico
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 10:01:25
Yes I did. I just did it right now again just in case but I still can't connect.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 10:22:58
quote:
Originally posted by flchico

Yes I did. I just did it right now again just in case but I still can't connect.

when you ran the server network utility, did you make sure that you were adjusting the settings of the MSDE instance by selecting it from the drop-down menu?

What service pack is the MSDE release? From you server you can run 'Select @@version' from query analyzer.

Also, how does your laptop connect to your network? do you use a VPN or are you directly connected to your LAN like any other machine?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

flchico
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 11:34:11
Yes, I made sure it was the right instance, a little bit tricky though b/c when you run it initially it seems it doesn't refresh, you have to click on each different one to see the results. I did this using Terminal Services from my laptop, I don't think it should matter how I did it as long as it was done, right?

When I go to the query analyzer I get this version:
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86) Dec 17 2002 14:22:05 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Desktop Engine on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

Thanks.

I connect thru the LAN with my laptop and it connects fine to the database, no problems.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 11:57:01
Changing the settings from Termservices should be fine.

More questions:

can you connect to the MSDE from any other remote system? or are all remote connections to MSDE failing?

what OS is your laptop running? if WIn2K, have you applied MDAC 2.8?

do you have any aliases created in your laptop's client configuration utility? (type 'cliconfg' from the RUN command)

-ec
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 11:58:17
quote:
Originally posted by flchico
I connect thru the LAN with my laptop and it connects fine to the database, no problems.

does this mean that you are only having a problem with connecting to the DB using Enterprise Manager? Does any other connection to the MSDE database (and the other SQL2K db) work fine? Like an ODBC data source for example.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

flchico
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 12:32:49
All the connections that are being attempted are thru the local network. Basically there are 2 instances of MSDE on the server, one for Traverse Accounting and one for my Application that I created.
My laptop, another computer that I installed SQL Server and MSDE and 3 regular workers computers (which by coincidence are the only ones that have traverse accounting installed which uses MSDE) connect fine, no problems with those. The other workers' machines can't connect to my instance of MSDE (they don't have traverse accounting installed)

My laptop is running Windoxs XP Professional Service Pack 2 and it's connecting fine thru Enterprise Manager and also as a ODBC Datasource, so no problem there.

With the machines that can't connect I tried to connect creating an ODBC Datasource and also by creating an alias on the local machine but no luck.

"does this mean that you are only having a problem with connecting to the DB using Enterprise Manager? Does any other connection to the MSDE database (and the other SQL2K db) work fine? Like an ODBC data source for example."
I have no problems connecting to the enterprise manager or thru a datasource. The problem is the select workers' machine that I mentioned above, can't connect thru ODBC Datasource, alias or thru a string connection that my application uses.

-ec
eyechart Posted - 09/11/2006 : 11:57:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changing the settings from Termservices should be fine.

do you have any aliases created in your laptop's client configuration utility? (type 'cliconfg' from the RUN command)

Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 13:47:26
are all the machines winxp sp2? the reason I ask is that win2000 by default cannot connect to a named instance without creating an alias. This is becuase win2k shipped with a version of MDAC that doesn't support that feature. YOu will need to have atleast mdac 2.6 installed and mdac 2.8 sp1 is the latest.

can the machines having trouble connect to any other SQL server? or is it just this particular instance that they are having problems with?

Since your laptop can connect to the SQL server (or MSDE in this case), I am almost certain that you don't have a problem at your SQL Server. Your probelm is either some kind of router/firewall port filtering problem (or other network type issue) or a problem in configuration on the affected client machines.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

flchico
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 17:03:20
Actually all the machines are Windows 2000 Professional (I think Service Pack 4) only my laptop is Windows XP.

On one of the client machines that can connect to my MSDE Database, I went to the "SQL Server Client Network Utility" and there was nothing under ALIAS but it can connect to the MSDE Instance that I created. I check for the version of MDAC and found 2 files on different directories one version 2.53.6200 (C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386) and the other version 2.71.9030 (C:\WINNT\$SQLUninstallMDAC27SP1....etc,etc)

I went over to one of the machines that can't connect and found one version 2.53.6200 (C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386).

I tested the machines that can't connect to the MSDE on the server to try to connect to a separate computer that has SQL 2000 installed and also a MSDE Database, interestingly it connected to a database in SQL 2000 but not the MSDE Database.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-11 : 17:11:16
you need to update the MDAC version on these machines then. MDAC 2.6 and newer have code to be able to negotiate connecting to named instances.

An easy way to determine if you have a version of MDAC that can connect to a named instance is to open up the client config util (cliconfg). If you have 2 tabs then it is old and cannot connect to a named instance (well, not exactly - see below). If there are 4 tabs, then it is new enough to connect to a named instance without you having to do anything special.

In order to make the old MDAC be able to connect to a named instance of SQL Server you need to create an alias. There is a KB article on doing this, but if you can just upgrade the MDAC then that is usually the better way to go.

Here is the KB article I referred to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265808

-ec
Go to Top of Page

flchico
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-12 : 11:06:28
Eyechart,

I think you hit it on the nail, I updated one client machine and that machine can connect now, I'm gonna do the same for the rest of the machines.

Thanks a ton for your help!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -