Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 Maximum database file size in MSDE

Author  Topic 

sami273
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 04:42:07
In MSDE the database file size is limited to 2 GB maximum. Does this really mean _FILE_ size or total database size?

So if I split indexes to different file group than data, can both of these files grow to 2 GB separately?

In our database, the indexes are about same size than actual data. I wonder if I could extend the total database size near 4 GB by using different file group for indexes?

Anybody know this?

Regards
Sami
Finland

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 05:45:17
I'm not sure if anyone is going to know this question off hand. You might just want to do some testing to figure this out.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 05:55:37
The MSDE equivalent in SQL 2005 supports larger databases (4GB I think) ... might that be a better option for you?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

sami273
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 05:56:22
Maybe you are right. I was just hoping someone could answer to this question right away. Many other people could also find this information useful.

I already tested this with Express 2005, and it didn't work there.

I'll test this with MSDE and post the result here after testing.

Regards
Sami
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 05:59:06
The user won't pay for a license so that they can store more than 2GB of data then?

(Might be single-user / not-for-profit application, of course, but I'm just curious!)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

sami273
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 06:01:13
Kristen: I know Express supports larger databases, but we have a lot of customers using MSDE with replication, and it would be too difficult to update them all to Express.

But, I'll test this and let you know!

BTW does anyone know if I want to update SQL Server 2000 --> 2005, do I have to drop all replication subscriptions and after updating construct all subscriptions again? Our largest customer has about 200 subscribtion databases in one publisher.
Go to Top of Page

sami273
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 06:05:16
Kristen: "The user won't pay for a license so that they can store more than 2GB of data then?"

How is "data" defined? Are indexes data? Sp_spaceused -procedure tells me that "data" is only the data size, not indexes.

So if there is 2 GB of "data" and additional 2 GB of indexes, are we using the software illegally?

This is also a very important question, because we don't want to do anything illegal.
Go to Top of Page

PSamsig
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

384 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 07:08:01
Im fairly convinced that it is a harcoded limit, so you shouldnt be able to do anything 'illigal' .. only try to , but it is a very good question if the size of indexes are included. An other really big advantage of Express is that it has fired the Governor.

-- The Heisenberg uncertainty principle also applies when debugging
Go to Top of Page

sami273
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 11:14:30
quote:
Originally posted by PSamsig

Im fairly convinced that it is a harcoded limit, so you shouldnt be able to do anything 'illigal'[/size=1]

That is not actually true. MSDE checks the size limit only when growing the file, but if you restore a database larger than 2 GB, MSDE is fine with it as long as the files are not needed to be grown again.

It really is possible to use MSDE illegally.
Go to Top of Page

Rishi Maini SQL2K5 Admin
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-10 : 07:41:29
==================================================
"BTW does anyone know if I want to update SQL Server 2000 --> 2005, do I have to drop all replication subscriptions and after updating construct all subscriptions again? Our largest customer has about 200 subscribtion databases in one publisher."
==================================================

We do not need to drop the Replication while the upgradation.

The recommended Upgradation Sequence should be :-

1. Distributor.
2. Publisher.
3. Subscribers.

But again Replication is very sensitive to even minor changes in the Database, so I would certainly like you to test it first in your test Env and then go for Production, ideally it should work but just to eliminate any hidden issue, test it first on a Test Server.

Thanks
Rishi Maini
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -