Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 updating nodes in a nested set model

Author  Topic 

assembly
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-14 : 17:49:29
We have a nested set design in our database.
The design allows multiple instances of nodes in the hierarchy. Each node has a combination of node name and its instance id as the primary key. We also maintain a unique_qty column that has the unique number of nodes below a particular node. This unique qty basically ignores the multiple instances of nodes below it and counts only the distinct node names(ignoring their instance ids).
the problem that im facing is...how do i update the unique_qty when i perform any move in the tree.

Thanks in advance,
assembly

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-14 : 18:14:19
Are you using SQL 2005 by any chance? If so, then I recommend to not use nested sets and just use the new recursive features of SQL 2005.

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

assembly
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-14 : 18:40:06
we cannot change the database model at this point.
but let me explain my ideas abt the problem
for any move in the tree, the unique_qty of nodes the in hierarchy changes.
1) i can calculate the unique qty for each node in the heirarchy till the root node, and then update them
OR
2) for each node in the subtree that is being moved, i can find out how it affects the unique qty of its original root and how its affects the root where the subtree is being moved to.
any more ideas or suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -