Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Error during Disk Mirroring

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2001-06-29 : 07:21:24
Jo writes "We are running SQL 6.5 post service pack 5a on Windows NT 4.0sp4.

Our nightly backup script contains the following code to backup the master database:

REM ==========================================================
REM == Mirror the UnMirror Master device for ArcServe backups
REM ==========================================================
Echo Creating copy of master device >> %CMDPATH%Backup_Server.log
isql -n -Usa -P%PASSWORD% -S%SQLSERVER% -Q"DISK REMIRROR NAME = 'master'" >>%CMDPATH%Backup_Server.log
isql -n -Usa -P%PASSWORD% -S%SQLSERVER% -Q"DISK UNMIRROR NAME = 'master', SIDE = SECONDARY, MODE = RETAIN" >>%CMDPATH%Backup_Server.log

Over the past 2 weeks we have had 3 occasions on 2 separate production servers where SQL server has died in the middle of this. In the SQL Server error log the mirroring of the disk and the closing of the mirrored disk usually takes only a matter of seconds. On the occasions where SQL server has died we are getting a message in the log to say the mirror has started but there is no closing message. We then get a bufwait timeout error on the following transaction dump then SQL server usually hangs until someone reboots it. Other error messages present after this are Error 925: 'Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded. The maximum allowed is 8', and in Event Viewer 'The product Microsft SQL Server 6.5 is out of licenses'. We have been running this backup script for 2 years now and have never had this problem?

What can cause the closing of the mirrored disk to fail? Do you have any suggestions?

I have been thinking of trying to change the Max Async IO Configuration Parameter which is currently set to the default of 8. Do you think this could have an effect?

When this occurs I have rebooted the server and manually run the script to close the mirrored device. I have noticed the following message has been appearing in the SQL Server Error Log 'Lazywriter: WARNING, couldn't find slot, 8/8, scanned 8'."

- Advertisement -