Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - SQL Server 2005/Yukon
 SSMS and Source Control

Author  Topic 

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-05 : 17:02:26
In SSMS, Tools, Options, Source Control...

has anyone got a recommendation for a source control product other than SourceSafe which performs well with SSMS?

Sam

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-06 : 00:46:09
Don't know about SSMS, but I'm a fan of SubVersion

Here's a thread you were in, so may not be relevant:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63148

I'm not sure how much it would need to be able to integrate with SSMS to be useful. I mean, SubVersion doesn't integrate with Query Analyser but it works just fine. I just work on my local copy of the source code files and check in when I'm ready. I can freshen my code several times a day to keep the bits I haven;t changed bang up to date - which reduces the risk that I have worked on something concurrently with someone else - but on the odd occasions that happens its not a major bear to "resolve".

I do my CheckIn / CheckOut (Commit / Update in SVN-speak) from Windows Explorer - or even File : Open sometimes. Just rightclick a specific file, folder, or the root folder of a section - or the whole source code tree - and choose Commit or Update.

I travel with my laptop only once in a while - just hit UPDATE before I go and the laptop has the source code for everything on it. Work on what I want to, come back to the office and Commit - if I've been away for weeks then more likely that someone else has changed something and I have more stuff to Resolve, but as I said that's not a big issue.

You'll detect that I'm pretty keen on it! Hop on a plane Sam and I'll give you a demo ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-06 : 09:59:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

You'll detect that I'm pretty keen on it! Hop on a plane Sam and I'll give you a demo ...
Maybe you'll be visiting DC sometime?

We use subversion here for Visual Studio and it works well. I suppose we could develop SPs in Visual Studio, but it seems unnatural to me. Does anyone here prefer Visual Studio over SSMS for stored procedure development?

I wanted to ask before giving subversion a try. I don't want to pioneer a new road because I didn't ask to look at a map of known highways.

quote:
The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully.
- Russian proverb
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-06 : 10:11:57
"We use subversion here for Visual Studio and it works well."

Blimey, wouldn't have thought SVN'r's would consider migrating to SourceSafe - maybe I'm biased though

"I suppose we could develop SPs in Visual Studio"

The question I would ask is why you need it integrated? We don't have SVN integrated with anything we use (other than Windows Explorer) and don't really give it a second thought. We just edit our files with whatever tool we like, then commit stuff when we are ready from Windows Explorer - but a Batch File Shortcut on the Desktop would do just as well!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-06 : 10:21:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

The question I would ask is why you need it integrated? We don't have SVN integrated with anything we use (other than Windows Explorer) and don't really give it a second thought.

Well, I was curious about the "built in" support SSMS offers for source control in the Tools, Options, Source Control drop-down.

From the lack of response, it looks like nobody has an endorsement of SSMS / source control. I'll give it a try and report back if it looks interesting (or not) with subversion.

Nothing wrong with using Windows Explorer and SVN at all. Very cool.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-06 : 10:24:12
"Windows Explorer and SVN ..."

... and Tortoise of course!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -