Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Restore A Log

Author  Topic 

TSQLMan
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 15:18:31
I need to restore a .BAK that was backed up with a BACKUP LOG Command without a prior full backup of the database.

I also need to specify a STOPAT time.

It won't let me do a RESTORE with Recovery on a file created by a backup log commmand of course.

I have a development database on my laptop, and accidentally did a truncate statement on an important table.

Any suggestions?

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 15:22:35
You can't restore a transaction log without a starting full backup restore. In order to restore a transaction log, you need the entire chain which you do not have.

You might be able to recover the data using a third party log reader tool, such as Lumigent's Log Explorer. Red Gate also has a product like this.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

TSQLMan
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 15:28:12
Thanks Tara, I knew I needed a full backup, but thought there might be another option.

Have you ever used either of the Lumigent or Red Gate Tools??
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 15:31:32
I haven't. But I know others have and highly recommend them. They are quite cheap tools considering what they are intended for. I believe you might even be able to just use a trial version of it.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

TSQLMan
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 15:40:30
I just dowloaded the Lumigent trial, but there is apparently a limitation, that only allows you to connect to their database, pubs, or Nwind. I am going to look at the Red Gate product as well.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 15:44:57
I believe both of them are under 500 bucks, so if neither trial works for you and the data is mucho importante, then you'll probably want to shell out the cash for it. But you'll want to test the same scenario on pubs or whatever to ensure it'll be able to recover what you want.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

TSQLMan
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 15:55:38
My wallet is already out. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

TSQLMan
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 21:34:43
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

I believe both of them are under 500 bucks, so if neither trial works for you and the data is mucho importante, then you'll probably want to shell out the cash for it. But you'll want to test the same scenario on pubs or whatever to ensure it'll be able to recover what you want.

Tara Kizer

The Red Gate SQL Log Rescue Software is worth every Penny. Very intuiitive Interface, and it took all of 3 minutes to restore the truncated data.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 22:20:32
It's even cheaper to have good backups.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-12 : 22:34:09
you can try apexsql

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-13 : 05:38:09
"It's even cheaper to have good backups."

I can't restore to point in time from my backups in anything approaching 3 minutes ... I'm going to stop taking backups and get Red Gate SQL Log Rescue Software instead. Plus it will save loads of disk space, CPU time, and my time checking the useless logs that never have anything interesting for me to read - its like looking for a needle in a haystack each morning. Well - not any more!

Just in case you are new here and followed a Google link thinking you had found Nirvana I'm afraid I now have to tell you that this was intended to be a joke <-- See?!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -