Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 problem access sqlserver session state

Author  Topic 

calvin464
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-18 : 15:01:10
Hi,
I have asp.net app (1.1, IIS6, SQL2000) and using SQLServer for asp.net session state. We run into problem yesterday, the site give an error saying that it failed to connect to sql server session state. I checked the sql server log and it give me this

5144 :
Autogrow of file 'ASPState_log' in database 'ASPState' cancelled or timed out after 30609 ms. Use ALTER DATABASE to set a smaller FILEGROWTH or to set a new size.

Can anyone help me explain what this mean? Thanks in advance.

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-18 : 15:21:42
File 'ASPState_log' in database 'ASPState' had a problem trying to grow. It might be that you are out of space on the disk where 'ASPState_log' is located, or it might be that your grow increment is so large that the transaction timed out waiting for it to complete.

Do you have the database set to Full Recovery? If you do have it set to Full Recovery, are you performing regular transaction log backups? I normally set them up to run every 15 minutes, 24x7. This will help reduce the need for the log file to grow.

If disk space is not an issue, you should set the log so that it is big enough that it doesn’t have to auto grow, and change the auto grow increment to grow in smaller chunks, say 100 Mb.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

calvin464
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-18 : 17:22:27
Ah ha, database was allocated 9Gb with 10% increment, no wonder it take forever. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -