Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Mapping out Server usage

Author  Topic 

ws5926
Yak Posting Veteran

88 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-30 : 08:36:43
Before I start poking around in the system tables, I figured that I would ask around on some forums first.

What I want to do it two things:

1. Show on a graph how long each one of my nightly jobs runs, scheduled through SQL Agent. Also I want to show on this graph where my jobs overlap and fight for resources.

2. Show on a graph cpu and disk usage for the time period when my nightly jobs run. I know that this info can be captured through the task manager and exported to SQL Server Reporting Services, but I haven't had time to set it up yet.

I want to compare the two graphs and see if I have any time 'hotspots' of the night and then I can move stuff around to get things done faster.

Does anyone know of any products out there that would help me out? I figured that I would ask around before I started developing my own process, hoping that someone else has already done this before.

Thanks in advance for any responses to this post.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-30 : 08:41:28
Should be able to get job info (duration etc) from sysjobhistory table.

Can get cpu and disk info through perfmon in control panel - admin tools, save it as a csv and then put the results into Excel to get a graph.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

ws5926
Yak Posting Veteran

88 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-30 : 09:08:18
That's what I had planned on doing. I was just wondering if anyone had some freeware or some scripts to convert the syshistory or something like that.

I have started to setup a query to convert the info in syshistory.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -