Please start any new threads on our new site at http://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Mapping out Server usage
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ws5926
Yak Posting Veteran

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  08:36:43  Show Profile
Before I start poking around in the system tables, I figured that I would ask around on some forums first.

What I want to do it two things:

1. Show on a graph how long each one of my nightly jobs runs, scheduled through SQL Agent. Also I want to show on this graph where my jobs overlap and fight for resources.

2. Show on a graph cpu and disk usage for the time period when my nightly jobs run. I know that this info can be captured through the task manager and exported to SQL Server Reporting Services, but I haven't had time to set it up yet.

I want to compare the two graphs and see if I have any time 'hotspots' of the night and then I can move stuff around to get things done faster.

Does anyone know of any products out there that would help me out? I figured that I would ask around before I started developing my own process, hoping that someone else has already done this before.

Thanks in advance for any responses to this post.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live

mr_mist
Grunnio

United Kingdom
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  08:41:28  Show Profile  Visit mr_mist's Homepage
Should be able to get job info (duration etc) from sysjobhistory table.

Can get cpu and disk info through perfmon in control panel - admin tools, save it as a csv and then put the results into Excel to get a graph.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

ws5926
Yak Posting Veteran

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  09:08:18  Show Profile
That's what I had planned on doing. I was just wondering if anyone had some freeware or some scripts to convert the syshistory or something like that.

I have started to setup a query to convert the info in syshistory.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000