Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Hourly Log backup error

Author  Topic 

vaddi
Posting Yak Master

145 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-16 : 09:34:15
In sql server 2005 I have scheduled hourly log backup and night full DB backup. After the night DB backup , the hourly log backup fails for atleast one database with the error , " BACKUP LOG cannot be performed because there is no current database backup. "

This happens both on the prod and test servers.

what might be causing this error.

Thanks

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-16 : 09:58:23
all your db's are succefully backed up?

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
blog thingie: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp
Go to Top of Page

sachinsamuel
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

383 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-16 : 10:16:32
I encountered this error some days back. I don't know how similar your issue is with mine.

Let me explain.

I migrated to 2005. Everything went well. Transactional jobs were going good too. But the differential backup failed. Its very logical. As the last full backup I took was on 2000 and when I tried taking differential backup, I encountered this error.

To fix this, I took a fullbackup so that the new sql 2005 server will come to know what is the portion which need to go in differential backup. This solved my problem.

I assume that you have installed all the cumulative sql server patches.

Steps you can take to fix your problem.

1) Check if the fullbackup went successfully?
2) Run the transactional log.
3) If step 2 still fails, please send us the T-sql code to take backup.

Thanks,
Sachin

Don't sit back because of failure. It will come back to check if you still available. -- Binu
Go to Top of Page

vaddi
Posting Yak Master

145 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-16 : 12:38:07
The Db backups are successfully. When ever the hourly T-Log stops due to the error , that there is no backup of a particular DB. I do that particular database backup and then run the t-log backup. Then it would be sucessfully until , the next night's backups. All the night backup are scheduled at 12.00 AM and hourly Log backups are stopping at 2.00 AM

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

vaddi
Posting Yak Master

145 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-16 : 12:40:57
I am using the Transcation Log task provided in the maintenance plan.

Or should I use any other T-sql instead of the wizard.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

sachinsamuel
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

383 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-16 : 15:00:49
Are u truncating the logs? I am dead sure that the problem is with ur maintainance plan.

Don't sit back because of failure. It will come back to check if you still available. -- Binu
Go to Top of Page

vaddi
Posting Yak Master

145 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-16 : 15:33:21
yes , I truncate the logs in my daily maintenance plan after the db full backup is completed.

so is that the problem.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -