SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - SQL Server 2005/Yukon
 Installing 2k5
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daidaluus
Yak Posting Veteran

73 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  07:48:40  Show Profile
I have already SQL2k installed on my machine then I installed SQL2k5 on the same machine but it seems I have got only Management Stadio. None of 2k5 functionalities works and new syntaxes fails. What's wrong with? Had i miss anything during installation process.

harsh_athalye
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

India
5581 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  12:39:30  Show Profile  Visit harsh_athalye's Homepage  Click to see harsh_athalye's MSN Messenger address  Send harsh_athalye a Yahoo! Message
If you already installed SQL 2000 and you also want to install SQL 2005, you need to create SQL 2005 as named instance. Have you done that? Also which edition of SQL 2005 you are installing?

Harsh Athalye
India.
"The IMPOSSIBLE is often UNTRIED"
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  21:04:01  Show Profile  Visit jezemine's Homepage
if all you installed was SSMS, that's only the client tools (replacements for EM/QA/etc). You need to install the relational server to get the 2k5 features. and as harsh says, if your 2k instance is the default instance, you'll have to make the 2k5 instance a named instance.

www.elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

daidaluus
Yak Posting Veteran

73 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  04:35:46  Show Profile
I installed Enterprise Edition. It asked me if you want to install as default or name istance. I thought like SQL2k for the first installation I can install it as default. Is it wrong?
Go to Top of Page

chiragkhabaria

India
1907 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  04:39:08  Show Profile  Visit chiragkhabaria's Homepage  Send chiragkhabaria a Yahoo! Message
Yes, i guess its worng, if you are installing 2 servers on the same machine then you have give the second server as named instance... so that SQL SErver can rectify by the instance name and then connect to it.

Chirag

http://chirikworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

monty
Posting Yak Master

130 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  23:55:25  Show Profile
you can't have two default instances of any version of SQL Server but you can have ten different installations of 2000 and 2005 as long as they are all named differently, they can co-exist happily.

its me monty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000