Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Rcommend good SQL SERVER 2005 books

Author  Topic 

sunil
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

282 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-29 : 08:00:14
I have been using SQL SERVER 200 for last 2 years for building web based things and would say myself intermediate in it.Now I want to shift to SQL server 2005. I would like to know some good books on SLQ SERVER 2005 so that I can get thorough knwodledge of it and raise my level in SQL.
Regards

harsh_athalye
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5581 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-29 : 08:06:48
I would recommend,

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 New Features by Michael Otey

Since you are already familiar with SQL 2000, there is no point in again reading about how you can create table, insert data into it and stuff like that.

Also there are separate books if you want to explore some specific part of SQL 2005 in detail like Integration Services. Check them out at Amazon.com.

Harsh Athalye
India.
"The IMPOSSIBLE is often UNTRIED"
Go to Top of Page

sunil
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

282 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-29 : 08:44:07
Thanks for your sugesstion.Just wanted to know that if i can install express edition and standard edition of sql 2005 on same machine running simultaneously.I believe express edition doesnot have advance features supported as mentioned by you.Will they conflict .
Regards
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-29 : 11:34:54
u can install both. won't conflict. unless u mean on a production system, in which case they will contend for memory, cpu. no problem locally or on test environment
Go to Top of Page

afrika

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-29 : 17:15:18
http://www.sqlteam.com/store.asp
Go to Top of Page

jwize
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-30 : 00:33:08
Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Querying.

I am a beginner. This book is for advanced readers. It tells you the way a query is broken apart in steps returning a virtual tables(or a cursor) for each step. It has chapters on JOINS, some of the new operators like PIVOT, UNPIVOT, CUBE and ROLLUP. It tells you about reading query plans and index tuning methods--how to isolate and drill down to problem queries and find. It also shows you the structure of clustered and non clustered indexes and gives you the reasons why the query optimizer chooses different execution plans in different situations. In the end it gets into some tree based database design problems. I haven't had time to study that part in depth but it eats my brain to think about.

I have read all the way through, not to mention reading the first 200 pages a few times. To me it seems cryptic in some ways, likely because I haven't got enough experience. However, there is a wealth of information that will likely help me solve problems in the long run. I have read over 40 computers science books and this has been the hardest read.

In my eyes it is apparent that the author wants you to think hard about things. I can't really say that it is a good book or not.

There is a lot of good stuff in it though.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-12-30 : 02:20:29
get all of the Inside SQL Server 2005 books - they are pretty good.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -