Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Database version

Author  Topic 

PSamsig
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

384 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-07 : 07:35:38
I have for a while been thinking about a way to embeed a version number in a database, so that an application can act accordingly.

I really would like it to be embeeded in the DDL, mostly because I use a tool (RedGate) to syncronize database structure, so it would be conviniet if the version number was 'automatically' updated in this process.

The best solution I have come at this far is making a view (could be a sp too, or even an UDF), like:
CREATE VIEW [dbo].[vVersion]
AS
SELECT 20070105 AS Version
Of course this method isnt bomb proof, but it is better than nothing, and solves my requirements.
Im sorry if this seems to be a trvial question, but I have thought about this for quite a while, and would like to know how you guys handle this problem.

-- If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-07 : 10:50:30
I reckon you should have more than just the "current version of the whole thing"

We have a table called something like "ScriptRunLog" and that contains the name of the script, run-date/time and the version number.

Each of our "scripts" (initial build, each "patch" script for new version, etc.) inserts a row into this table. That tells use the Current version (SELECT MAX(VersionNumber) WHERE ScriptName = 'MAIN_VERSION') but also when the various scripts were run, AND what order they were run in.

Every Sproc script (i.e. a script to create an Sproc) has the SProc name and version number (version number is in the format yyyymmddxxx - where "xxx" is any subdivider - such as indicating a bespoke modification for a specific customer).

We have a routine which will delete entries in this table that are, say, > 6 months old AND there is a newer entry for that named-script - so we can purge the stale stuff after a while.

We have an Sproc that creates a row in the logging table; for example all Sproc scripts start something like:

PRINT 'Create procedure usp_MySproc'
GO
EXEC dbo.usp_MyLogScriptRun 'usp_MySproc', '070107'
GO
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysobjects WHERE id = object_id(N'[dbo].[usp_MySproc]')
AND OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsProcedure') = 1)
DROP PROCEDURE dbo.usp_MySproc
GO

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.usp_MySproc

usp_MyLogScriptRun takes parameters for the Sproc name and an optional "Version" number. Leave the version number off and it displays the log history (TOP 100 ORDER BY CreateDate) - so I can just highlight the
EXEC dbo.usp_MyLogScriptRun 'usp_MySproc'
bit and execute it to see when it was last run etc. Include the version number and it inserts a new row.

Some discipline needed to edit the VersionNumber parameter each time the Sproc script is saved, but that becomes second nature after a bit.

We have a Query that will compare two given databases - we use that to compare a newly updated database against a "known-good" master database to see if we forgot anything!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -