Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Warning not welcome!

Author  Topic 

pug2694328
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-08 : 17:17:41
Heya team,

Our shop stores queries on a shared network drive. When editing these queries we get a repeated and most unwelcome popup window declaring:

"This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it and lose the changes made in the source editor?"
Yes; Yes to all; No; No to all

We'd like to disable this annoying popup. If someone accidentally hits yes or yes to all they will lose all their development as the code synchs up with the version on the network server.

Please please help!

Using SQL Server 2005 SQL Server Management Studio v 9.00.1399.00

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-08 : 17:29:37
SSMS do belong to SQL Server 2005, not SQL Server 2000.
Look in the SSMS "Tools -> Option" settings and see what you can come up with.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

pug2694328
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-08 : 17:42:07
Thanks, we have a 2000 server, but use 2005 management studio to do our editing... (we are trying out the new tools prior to upgrading the server to 2005).

TOOLS > OPTIONS doesn't appear to have a setting for this. Is this message coming from the server somehow? It seems to editor related.

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-08 : 19:50:44
Is there some difference in timestamp on the files between what the Server (of the shared drive) allocates and what the workstation is resolving to?

I seem to remember some time ago that some version of Windows saw timestamps with less milliseconds than the server did - or maybe with different Locale they showed the time as an hour different because of daylight saving time, or somesuch. Maybe something like that is causing SSMS to think that the file on the shared drive is newer?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-08 : 20:56:32
quote:
Originally posted by pug2694328

Heya team,

Our shop stores queries on a shared network drive. When editing these queries we get a repeated and most unwelcome popup window declaring:

Don't do this.
Use CVS and have local copies, then you won't be likely to destroy someone elses work.

Damian
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-08 : 22:23:33
+1 to a version control system for your source code

See: http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61248

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

TryingNotToFlame
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-11-20 : 10:18:06
After spending a while on this problem, I have to respond to a dynamic that is increasing my frustration to astronomically high levels--so much so that I created an account just to address it. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ANSWER TO A PERSON'S QUESTION, DON'T POST. Don't give a breeze by NON-answer ("Look in SSMS Tools...Bye"). Don't tell someone not to do something (you don't know their environment). Don't suggest some third party app. If you don't know the answer to what has been asked, just don't post. There. I said it without one expletive. Not easy.
Go to Top of Page

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-20 : 10:26:01
I am trying not to flame too!
Merkin's answer was absolut correct.

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-20 : 10:31:55
quote:
Originally posted by TryingNotToFlame

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ANSWER TO A PERSON'S QUESTION, DON'T POST.

IF YOU CANNOT ACCEPT ADVICE AND DISCUSSION, DON'T ASK A QUESTION ON A PUBLIC FORUM.
Duh.

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-20 : 10:38:53
ha. digging up a nearly 3 yr old post to "try not to flame?" wow.

source control is the correct answer. and if someone bypasses it, i have no remorse about overwriting their changes. in fact i used to intruct my developers to do just that when that message popped up.
Go to Top of Page

pug2694328
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-20 : 12:04:06
So much excitement! This post is becoming a cult classic!

Just an FYI I haven't hit this problem in a very long time and it probably was due to timestamp differences (thanks Kristin!).

I used this and a few other examples to shove our shop towards using versioning software. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-20 : 12:31:03
quote:

After spending a while on this problem, I have to respond to a dynamic that is increasing my frustration to astronomically high levels--so much so that I created an account just to address it. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ANSWER TO A PERSON'S QUESTION, DON'T POST. Don't give a breeze by NON-answer ("Look in SSMS Tools...Bye"). Don't tell someone not to do something (you don't know their environment). Don't suggest some third party app. If you don't know the answer to what has been asked, just don't post. There. I said it without one expletive. Not easy.

So, if you didn't have an answer, why did you post?

And why exactly to you care about non-answers? Can't people just ignore something that they don't find useful.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-20 : 14:58:42
TryingNotToFlame is really TryingToTroll.

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-20 : 15:26:22
quote:

Is that baby talk?

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Add yourself!
http://www.frappr.com/sqlteam

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -