Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 tempdb problem

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-11 : 06:53:03
James H. writes "I am running SQL Server 2000 SP4. There was a lot of heavy activity on a database with full recovery mode set last week and it caused my tempdb datafile (tempdev) to grow to 77GB. I have since set the database in question to simple recovery mode, but am unable to get the size of the tempdev datafile to go down. Properties on the tempdb show sizes: 75888.67MB w/space avail: 75887.43MB.. I have tried shrinking (via EM) and it says it worked fine, however the size reduced little on the first try, and none on subsequent tries.. From reading I found that tempdb is recreated at initialization, so I bounced the instance, and found no change. I then shut down my instance, adn then removed my datafile to another drive.. this caused a panic attack on my part because the service started, but became unresponsive. I discovered later that it was rebuilding my 77GB tempfile and wouldn't communicate until then (big WHEW).. I still have 25GB free, but need to reclaim as much of the space that tempdb is holding. Can you give me some pointers?

Regards,
James H."

snSQL
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1837 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-11 : 11:58:28
I'm confused - you refer to tempdb, tempdev, tempfile, my datafile. You say that there is heavy activity in a database with full recovery and then refer to tempdb. Is your user database a problem or is tempdb a problem, they are two very different things?
Go to Top of Page

TonyTheDBA
Posting Yak Master

121 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-12 : 07:03:24
Do reduce the size of your tempDB all you need to do is to restart the SQL Server Service Either using Service Manager or Physically Restarting teh server. When SQL Server Starts it creates tempdb from Model

The more interesting question is what was happeinging in your user database that generated so much work for tempdb?

--
Regards
Tony The DBA
Go to Top of Page

MohammedU
Posting Yak Master

145 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-13 : 02:18:47
How to shrink the tempdb database in SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307487

MohammedU
Go to Top of Page