Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Space Available for database is 0

Author  Topic 

Mits
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-03 : 10:42:41
Hi

My sql database is showing space available for one of the database is 0.
I have got SQL Server 2005 Ent. Edition(32bit). File growth for .mdf file is set to Autogrowth 10% growth Unrestricted.

I have got lots of physical space on hard drive, why then it is showing 0.00 space available for database. What do i need to do to free up space.

When i ran sp_spaceused it gave me following results

database_name database_size unallocated space
XXXX 1817.31 MB 0.00 MB

reserved data index_size unused
1860760 KB 1763496 KB 13240 KB 84024 KB

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me what is going on over here and would this slow down the data access?

Regards
Mits

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-03 : 12:16:57
Are you getting any errors or problems? Maybe its just full but hasn't yet needed to extend the files?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-03 : 23:06:06
I think you just need to update the space used. you can run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE and that should fix the problem.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Mits
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-05 : 04:11:02
I have checked the logs and i am not getting any errors but the data access has gone very slow.

I will look at DBCC UPDATEUSAGE in BOL for more information.

Meanwhile i was wondering if there is lots of physical disk space available then why is SQL not using it and how can i make it use that space.

Mitesh
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-05 : 04:50:35
"if there is lots of physical disk space available ..."

As your database is set to Autogrowth then it should automatically extend as needed. Perhaps make a note of the size of the MDF and LDF files today, and check again in a few days time and see if it has grown.

I'd also suggest changing 10% to some suitable size in MB - the 10% becomes a BIG extension once the database reaches several GB in size, and can impact on performance badly on a busy database.

"data access has gone very slow"

Make sure you are running UPDATE STATISTICS regurlarly (and perhaps to a less extent using REINDEX or INDEXDEFRAG maintenance commands.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -