Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Odd behavior

Author  Topic 

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-06 : 15:55:06
This was originally posted on DBForums.com, so here is the link:
http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614086

Since some of the Microsoft staff come around here occasionally, I figured I should at least link to it here. This is the gist of the problem, though. I was asked to come up with a script to create all required data directories in case an emergency was declared, and someone had to rebuild one of our database servers. Most of you are probably thinking of hitting up the sysaltfiles table about now, but this will turn into a cautionary tale. Try it if you dare. The one requirement is that you install the data for SQL Server in a non-standard directory that has a short path (such as C:\MSSQL8, instead of the whole C:\Program files\...).

What I am unclear on is whether this is a problem in the reverse function, the r(l)trim function, or the fixed-width datatype. I have confirmed that transferring the data to a temp table did not eliminate the...oddity.

select filename
from master..sysaltfiles
where dbid = 2
go
select reverse(rtrim(filename)), filename
from sysaltfiles
where dbid = 2
go
select reverse(rtrim(filename))
from sysaltfiles
where dbid = 2

I have also had two independent DBAs confirm this oddity exists, so this should be relatively easy to replicate.

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-06 : 17:23:26
What's the problem you see - I'm not getting anything in v2000 or 2005 (unless I'm missing it).
There are oddities with char datatypes and string operators.

Would be nice if you stated what the problem was when asking a question rather than leaving people to run code - especially when it means creating a database to do it.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 09:41:25
Sorry, nr. The problem does not seem to exist in SQL 2005, but I am stuck on SQL 2000 for the moment. This is the result I get:

filename
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E:\MSSQL8\MSSQL\data\tempdb.mdf
E:\MSSQL8\MSSQL\data\templog.ldf

(2 row(s) affected)

filename
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fdm.bdpmet\ATAD\LQSSM\revre fdm.bdpmet\atad\LQSSM\8LQSSM\:E E:\MSSQL8\MSSQL\data\tempdb.mdf
fdl.golpmet\ATAD\LQSSM\revr fdl.golpmet\atad\LQSSM\8LQSSM\:E E:\MSSQL8\MSSQL\data\templog.ldf

(2 row(s) affected)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2 row(s) affected)

Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5581 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 09:50:16
What is the Service pack status on your OS and SQL Server?

Harsh Athalye
India.
"The IMPOSSIBLE is often UNTRIED"
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 10:17:36
These are the combinations I have at my disposal. All of which display this behaviour:

SQL Server Windows
---------- -------
SP3 2003 RTM
SP3 2003 SP1
SP3 2000 SP4
SP4 2003 RTM

Honestly, I think this is a bug, and wanted to have Paul have a look. My current workaround is to simply ignore tempdb in my script, but that leaves a bit of a hole in its flexibility.
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 12:22:43
This does seem very strange. Is anyone else able to repro this? Could it be something to do with your collation or some embedded chars in the filenames?

Have you checked with product support?

Paul Randal
Principal Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Core Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverstorageengine/default.aspx
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 13:04:30
I have not checked with Product Support, since this is hardly a "production down" situation.
I can not think of any special characters in the filenames, as only the records pertaining to tempdb and master are affected.
All others exhibit "normal" behaviour, even though they all share the same paths. The collation in all cases
is the default (SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS). So far I have gotten Thrasymachus from DBForums to reproduce (at least I think)
this at the link in the original post, and also a poster named JFoushee at
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1157940&SiteID=17
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 13:51:18
ok - suggest you contact Product Support to debug as language intrinsics aren't my thing. I've never heard of this problem before though.

Paul Randal
Principal Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Core Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverstorageengine/default.aspx
Go to Top of Page

nheidorn
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 18:02:46
I'm just spitballing here, but I seem to remember a similar problem before with Null terminated strings.
It appears to me that the reversed versions are pulling out left over text from a previous install when the path included "Microsoft SQL Server".
You can see the left over "revre" and "revr" from the word "server".

It would be interesting to see if what looks like a space in the reversed string is, in fact, ASCII 0.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 18:20:18
I am seeing the same behavior on 2000 but only if I output my results to Text. In grid format, the data doesn't even show up.
If I use a variable, it still shows the incorrect behavior.
I wonder if there's an invalid character in the data that is causing reverse function to screw up.

In 2005, everything works fine.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

nheidorn
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-07 : 18:36:15
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

I wonder if there's an invalid character in the data that is
causing reverse function to screw up.

That was my point exactly. I don't have a server to test it on at
the moment, but my assumption is that the Null character (ASCII 0)
is preventing the output from displaying in the Grid View.

It also appears to prevent the output in Text View unless another
field is output as well. The second query in the sample above shows
both the reversed string and the original, but when only the reversed
string is selected (in the third query) the output is blank.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -