Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Purchasing SQL Server 2005

Author  Topic 

dnf999
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

253 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-09 : 07:03:20
I have been tasked with determining which edition of SQL server 2005 to purchase for my business.

We currently have SQL server 2005 Enterprise Edition, although due to the spec of our laptops (operating system) we cannot install the full version of this on our laptops (2gb database capped limit)

The laptop specification is:
1.66 Ghz Intel Centrino Duo
1 Gb Ram
60 Gb HDD
Microsoft Windows XP Profressional Version 2002, SP2 (64 bit????)

I believe the Standard Edition will enable us to have an uncapped SQL Server 2005 database limit on the laptops.

Alternatively, please could anybody advise which edition should be purchased

Many thanks

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-09 : 11:48:49
you can only run developer edition on your laptops. The other editions of SQL server can only be installed on Server OSes.

why don't you tell us more about your application so we can help you.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

dnf999
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

253 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-09 : 11:59:00
I am a data analyst and this requires us to analyse large volumes of financial data in the office or at client site from our laptops.

Due to the restriction of a 2Gb db limit on our laptops from installing Enterprise edition, we seek an alternative SQL Server edition so that the db is only limited to Hard drive space on our laptops.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-09 : 15:53:37
quote:
Originally posted by dnf999
Due to the restriction of a 2Gb db limit on our laptops from installing Enterprise edition, we seek an alternative SQL Server edition so that the db is only limited to Hard drive space on our laptops.

I assume you actually meant Express Edition and not Enterprise Edition..

you cannot install workgroup, standard or enterprise edition of SQL server on a winxp laptop. these editions of SQL Server will only install on a Server OS - windows server 2003 for example.

You can only use developer edition (or Express Edition, but you already ruled that out), but you aren't really doing development work so you might violate the agreement.

A possible solution for you would be to use something like vmware with a Server OS installed on a virtual machine. Youcould then install Standard Edition in that VM and still access it from your laptop. Keep in mind that there is some overhead with this soltution and you might take a slight performance hit. You will also needs tons of RAM to make this work acceptably.

Another possibility would be to install a server OS on your laptop. Windows 2003 doesn't have all the niceties that winxp has (as far as desktop/laptops go) so you may run into difficulties with drivers, power settings, etc. I think this solution would be more trouble than the VM solution, but it might be worth investigating.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -