Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Internal Consistency Error

Author  Topic 

MBeal
Posting Yak Master

110 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-13 : 16:43:13
I have been running log shipping for more than a year now and it has been very successful until just recently. For some reason the SQL Agent jobs that backup the database, ship it across the network to a standby server and restore it are failing. On the source server the backup process is running, the log shipping is running however when it tries to restore it on the destination server it fails with the following error:

SQL Server Help file: Help context: 0 Error Detail Records: Error: -2147217900 (80040E14); Provider Error: 3013 (BC5) Error string: RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Help file: Help context: 0 Error: -2147217900 (80040E14); Provider Error: 3270 (CC6) Error string: An internal consistency error occurred. Contact Technical Support for assistance. Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Help file: Help context: 0 Error: 0 (0); Provider Error: 3211 (C8B) Error string: 10 percent restored. Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Prov... Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

If I delete the database on the destination server, re-run the sql agent job that ships the backup job, and re-run the restore job on the destination server the process will succeed without error. This tells me the original backup was fine but something may have been lost during the shipping. Have you ever seen this message before? What does it mean and what should I be looking at to resolve the error?

Thank you.

MBeal

kfarlee
Microsoft SQL Server Product Team

9 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-13 : 20:01:47
Usually the 3270 error indicates that the backup was corrupt in some way. When you re-established the secondary and re-started the log-shipping jobs, did you restore the SAME backup that failed? Chances are that it wouldn't match the LSN of the new database.

I'd suspect that the log backup was corrupted in some way.

Kevin Farlee
SQL Server Storage Engine PM
Go to Top of Page

MBeal
Posting Yak Master

110 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-13 : 20:23:58
Yes, when I recreated the container on the destination server I would delete the backup that was originally shipped, start the job that ships the backup across (using the same backup that was sent the first time, just sending it again) and once it arrived at the destination server, I would start the job to restore the database and it would restore properly.

I'm leaning more towards a network problem because it doesn't seem logical that the restore would fail the first time but not the second time.

Any thoughts?

MBeal
Go to Top of Page

kfarlee
Microsoft SQL Server Product Team

9 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-15 : 13:24:03
I would tend to agree that something got garbled in transit.
If this is a one-time event, I'd just keep a close eye on it. If it happens again it's time for some detailed analysis.

Kevin Farlee
SQL Server Storage Engine PM
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -