Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Retrieving Japanese Characters

Author  Topic 

smilingjoe.anonimo
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-15 : 08:52:29
Hi there,

I am a newbie in this forum, and I hope the answer to my question has not been posted somewhere already.

Since few weeks I work in Japan. We have MS SQL Server 7.0, Windows on my laptop is german XP SP2 Pro with all available updates, Office is english 2003 SP2 with all the updates.

In Access I link tables from the SQL Server via ODBC, and everything works perfectly fine. Only, I can not retrieve the japanese text, e. g. customer name. All the other relevant fields are either numeric or numbers in text fields (i. e. with leading zeros), I can read all of them without problems.

I also installed the support for east-asian languages, and in Outlook, IE, Firefox I can see the japanese characters without problems.

I really would apreciate any hint how I could solve this issue, since I spent the whole day searching for a solution, but in vain.

Joe

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-15 : 12:25:47
You have to use columns with UNICODE support in order to see Japanese characters.

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

smilingjoe.anonimo
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-15 : 19:28:34
Hello Peter,

thank you for your quick reply. I understand the concept of Unicode, but how can I influence the columns? I did not see where I could set any parameter, I only link the table through ODBC, but from there, I do not see how I could influence the character support. In SAP, the names are displayed correctly, so it is not a DB problem but a problem in my way of linking, I guess.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

smilingjoe.anonimo
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-15 : 19:53:28
Small update...

I found how to use a self-defined connection string, which is stored in an *.odc-file. This is a snippet:

<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/x-ms-odc; charset=utf-8">
<meta name=ProgId content=ODC.Database>
<meta name=SourceType content=OLEDB>
<meta name=Catalog content=PR1>
<xml id=docprops></xml><xml id=msodc><odc:OfficeDataConnection
xmlns:odc="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:odc"

In the first line, charset is set to UTF 8. Is there anything else I could modify?

Any help most apreciated!!!

Joe
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-15 : 19:57:44
What does "influence the columns" mean?

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

smilingjoe.anonimo
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-15 : 20:10:04
Hi Tara,

thanks for your interest.

Peter told me, I have to use columns with Unicode support. Nevertheless, I only can use the DB and the tables "as it is". I would not want to change anything in the DB or table structure at the SQL Server. Though, with "influencing" I meant how can I make sure I get the columns connected with UTF charset support?

Joe
Go to Top of Page

raclede
Posting Yak Master

180 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-16 : 00:29:10
One workaround is for you to set the regional settings of your laptop to Japanese then try linking again. I'm sure it will display Japanese Characters.. After linking you can change it back to English.
Go to Top of Page

smilingjoe.anonimo
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-16 : 02:02:42
Hi Raclede,

thanks for the hint, I set the whole environment to japanese, I also set the "language version for progams that do not support Unicode" to japanese, and relinked, but no success. :-(

Joe
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-16 : 07:22:48
can you tell us how the tables you are reading are defined, in particular are the text fields defined as CHAR/VARCHAR or NCHAR/NVARCHAR?

If the former you are screwed as you can't save unicode data, never mind read it. if the latter then you have to investigate the fonts/regional settings on your client PC. maybe compare your client PC setup with a client PC that is working....and narrow down the differences.
Go to Top of Page

smilingjoe.anonimo
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-17 : 07:02:23
Hi AndrewMurphy,

during the weekend I have no access to the server, I try to find out on Monday. But anyway, since in SAP the characters are shown correctly, I assume that it should not be a database problem, but only a problem on my machine? Or am I overseeing something? Anyway, I will try to link from one of the local computers to see how it behaves.

Up to here, thanks to all for trying to help :-)

As a "workaround" I got now a textfile from a japanese colleague containing customer numbers and names. First, japanese characters where not shown correctly neiter, but when I set back the whole environment, I could read it, import it to a local access db, and even after setting back the machine to English, I still can access the data correctly.

Mysterious....

Funny enough: Looks like a can even post here hiragana (japanese characters)

Thank you very much: �り�� �や���

:-)
Go to Top of Page

smilingjoe.anonimo
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-18 : 20:00:55
Hi all,

just wanted to say THANK YOU for your efforts to help me. Unfortunatelly, nothing worked out, and I decided to live with the workaround of exporting a textfile cotaining the requiered names in hiragana (japanese characters).

It is only for reporting purposes, and I have no time now to dig much deeper into the DB structure.

Anyway, as I said... Thanks a lot - Arigatoo gozaimasu!

Joe
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -