Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 SQL 2005 & CLR queries.

Author  Topic 

Hariarul
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-02 : 04:56:53
Hi all,

I need few clarifications from you experts regarding SQL server 2005 & CLR integration ( my questions might be simple and silly, please bear with me).

1.A web service should be invoked from the SQL Server , Is CLR stored procedure only way to do that ?

2.Does SQL Server uses the CLR only when the CLR support is enabled ? OR SQL Server itself runs on top of the CLR no matter it is enabled or not ?

3.What are the major disadvantages of using CLR stored procedures instead of T-SQL?

Thanks in advance,

DBLearner

aex
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-27 : 10:31:20
Hi,

Regarding your first question, I would not able to give you a correct answer as I have never done such thing before.

For your second questions, 'conventional' stored procedures still can be executed even if CLR is enabled. I did it once quite sometimes ago and i am sure of it.

You can make a simple googling by typing sql clr disadvantages and you will get the result you want. My personal opinion is that, use clr stored procedures only if you need to perform some complicated logic operations that are hard to be coded using tsql.

aex
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -